1965 AMC Rambler Classic Station Wagon thread

Discovered that my car is the top of the top line 770 trim, has an overdrive transmission and 4 ashtrays lmao. Even the passengers in the back have ashtrays. And bucket seats in the front.
Also found out I need to change the fuel pump. Which is like $90 for the pump and whatever for the install because I don’t feel like it atm. Depending what the auto shop quotes I may change my mind though. Will see.
Pic for reference

3 Likes

Pic of the transmission, because I didnt do one earlier in the thread. Conveniently also shows where I could split the exhaust into a dual exhaust if I wanted to.

Also;
Applied the Gasket Seal stuff to the windshield, will see how it works after it’s done curing later today. So far has hardened significantly since this pic. Seems like it should work well, providing I didn’t miss any spots.

1 Like

Also, rainX is awesome.

2 Likes

All the parts arrived, and it’s in the shop now for an oil change, carb rebuild and muffler install. Will post after it’s done. Should be done tomorrow but will see.

1 Like

Woot. Carb is working a lot better and the muffler is on.

Also had an oil change done, with the zinc additive and it runs so well now.

3 Likes

Hand washed the rambler… So much shinier now even compared to a machine wash lol. The full layer of wax probably helped. Will do a full wash at home as well, with real auto wax but thisll do for now.

4 Likes

Almost ready to leave. Just need to pack and I’m set. Put down the blanket so wouldn’t have any scratches/to cushion the things in the trunk. And to add a cover I can put things of value under, out of sight.

2 Likes

New air filter is on; doing spark plugs as well.

2 Likes

Video of it with new spark plugs

2 Likes

Well, one of the two bushings is in 3 hours and 5 attempts later lol

Only another one to do.
My grandpa’s also tuning the ignition and everything so it’ll run properly; should be well timed afterwards so that it runs way better.

2 Likes

Oops, lol. That’s right where the exhaust is…

Rip. But nothing some bodywork won’t fix, my grandpa is on the case. It is where the heater used to go, due to a number of design flaws it caught and trapped water in the compartments and then rusted through a lot of it.

But on the plus side the engines not in bad shape at all for the age.

Needs wiring work though as well.
And a repaired or new exhaust system.
Vintage cars lol… So much money but so nice.

4 Likes

after a looong time finally the place that has the electric wiper motors had some rebuilt ones in stock. for the motor and the core was $390, and $11 for an exhaust gasket i also needed. but now, the car is almost ready. only other thing is AC that needs to be fixed and interior work (which im going to do, like putting new carpets in). but still. HYPE.
said wiper motor.

2 Likes

Also found the tech service manual for the car so that is neat

Was wayy too expensive on one hand, but on the other I’ll probably never find another one so $50 shipped was … Acceptable.

1 Like

Should look into getting it digitally preserved. Could end proving to be useful if you can do stuff like OCR on it and get searchable text

i found a guy about 1.5hrs away with some more, but his ones are in shit cond so above probably will be better. will see if i cant get the ones here though as well, just to add to the archive of stuff. link if curious

Some of the really unusual ones there though are definitely worth scanning in if I can get them. If they are in bad shape especially. And then… Idk. I’m not sure how to do the actual scanning of the books, I guess with a photocopier? Or something. But could be really nice to share them as AMC, and to a greater extent Nash, both are dead companies so tech data is super hard to find.

So close and yet so far. Just need the stuff between the motor and the actual wipers now. The wiring easy peasy but the hardware (the pivot, drive shaft etc) are going to be a bitch to find. I could make my own though, but probably going to have to wait till I’m home or have my grandpa take measurements of the parts to figure out how to mod universal ones to work.

Because the mechanics of the vacuum wipers arms are different than the electric ones apparently.

Some research later and possible solution found. Horrible sketch but gets the point across

vacwipe

Will have to see what my grandpa says or if it’s feasible. But should be with… Minimal modifying. Hopefully anyway.

Got one of the two American tech manuals and all the other books. Will come in handy, especially the National one because it has details of every single 1965 car and how to fix it in detail.

2 Likes

Before cleaning

After

It running

Needs;
Brake work and alignment
Differential oil change
fuel pump with electric wiper connection (since i finally got all the parts to convert the wipers)
possible clear coat of the paint later
other minor work

4 Likes