The Lounge 0001 [From the Beginning]

Apparently the Steamdeck is supposed to be mod-able. No idea how legit that was but someone posted a screenshot from an email on reddit where GabeN allegedly confirmed that you can install Windows or whatever you like on it.

ye they pretty much said from the start its a PC and you can do whatever the fuck you want with it, they even said it’ll run the Epic Games store specifically which is either a short jab at Apple or to cover ther arses in that debate before it goes anywhere.

1 Like

why cover their asses? does epic support games for linux?

prices do be very high, though. the 64gig model is supposed to cost $399 but here it’s gonna be 419€ which is currently a little short or $500. 679€ for the 512gig model is $800 ($649 in the US). meanwhile the conversion rate is 1€ = $1.18. friggin taxes…
a laptop with similar specs would probably cost close to 1k€, though. so he’s now wrong that it’s a pc (both in specs and price).

1 Like

nope but the argument is whether a device has support for or can sideload apps from other sources and probably just wanted to get ahead of that even if it does require you install anoher OS.

ye that’s just the nature of buying pretty any hardware in Europe compared to the US in terms of pricing unless ofc its a GPU with the tariffs.

1 Like

Is that due to the latest tariffs from the US? Cause the prices I paid for my pc parts in 2017 seemed pretty normal. Then when I looked up the latest Crosshair Hero mobo I was surprised that it was over 400€. That’s insane. Even the lowest price of ~355€ is much more than what I paid for the VII (Wi-Fi). And there’s even more expensive variants of the Crosshair VIII up to 550€.
CPU prices aren’t crazy but could be cheaper. Looks more like “normal” supply and demand (with some outliers like a 1700X for 500€).

But yeah, before I spend over 400€ on a handheld device (as powerful as it seems for that form factor), I’d rather put that towards new PC components. Not sure it’s gonna be direct competition for the Switch. Maybe for people without a gaming PC/laptop if they prefer that platform over consoles.

ye but do the math lel

a 6900xt is actually pretty fast right? it has 80 cus of rdna 2, with the massive infinity cache™ with ~512gb/s memory bandwith but with the cache is stupidly faster than say the nvidia card with only 256bit interface

if they dont have a cache like that on the apu, it only has 5500mt/s memory(according to the steam deck official sites specs) says dual channel so if thats each channel, once you take half of that for cpu, only like 44gb/s, with say a pretty slow rx550 having 112gb/s with 8 cus, at 1000-1100mhz, and a slower per clock performance, but the apus get substantially gimped by the memory bandwith so might not even be as effective gflops compared to the 550, which only has 1.2/tflops, instead of 1~1.6 depending on turbo, although if cpu turbos like say when playing a game probably not gonna do 1.6 unless they tuned cpu to prefer lower clocks or something

i mean this chart here

the 3200g has 8 cus of vega whatever

the 3400g has 11, so if we assume the rdna one with significantly faster memory is atleast as fast as 3400g, that might hit 60fps lowest on farcry 5, letalone a minimum of ~60 on cyberpunk 2077 or something that runs like extra shit, letalone in 4 years or something

i mean if they are shooting for 720p lowest(screen is just over 720 but 16:10 so prolly 720 lol) and atleast 30fps, probably mostly doable, although its also not running natively and cant even run all the AAA games since linux something like 50~75% of the top games with the variety of middle ware solutions to reduce performance below the native example from pc mag

edit: heres newer 5700g bench

but mean if you look at say the 960 being a really old card with double digit performance increase, that if they doubled the 5700 performance then you might be talkin a 480/8gb, a pretty good 1080p card from like 3-4 years ago

i meani f they dropped from high to lowest, and to 720p maybe double frame rate here to like 26~30 idk for the 5700, but if its not like double the performance, prolly really low chance will actually be that usable long term outside streaming to it or whatever for harder games. i mean have hardly even started getting games from the next gen consoles even, once the actual wave starts coming in, prolly wont handle that too well

the 400$ one seems pretty good, especially if it has an open m.2 slot but who knows lol

edit2: but 5700g is supposed to be 2.1tflops, so would have to be significantly more effective performance just to hit parity, which probably is more efficient atleast with big boost in memory

edit3: apparently will have quad channel on steam deck so might be pretty good memory dunno what the specs on the individual banks are though, if the 5500mt(like 44gb/s) is per channel or would have been the whole dual channel config, so either 88gb/s or like 175 at least at the hardware level in a actual test prolly not that fast, i mean rx560 has ~112gb/s and ~2.6tflops, so if was the full 175(prolly less than 150 in system) with having to share with cpu, prolly could do 2/3 performance of a 560 atleast

4(but continuation from 3)

would guess its one of these kinda things

since they have the speed listed and are one of the major manufactures of memory dies, but micron has a bunch too, looks those packages could be 64bit width so would only eb the ~88gb/s prolly but who knows i guess lol

1 Like

what up yo

In Vegas for defcon, staying at Ceasar’s palace, so far been interesting.

Will see how the convention goes, the heat is the usual irritating 100+ but it’s dry heat so it’s tolerable. With enough water that is

2 Likes

just in time before lockdown 2 getting shot boogaloo

so the burger I got from McDonald’s came like this, you had one job lol

1 Like

Arrived at defcon

2 Likes

2 Likes

Double shot pina colada

Chandelier bar

1 Like

you gonna go to the badass meetup shirtless in a duster?

collect unemployment?

1 Like

with old video games and fake gold pokemang cards?

Got a mega man add on board and played with the badge some more, has hot swap switches which is neat

2 Likes

he bumped it from high base preset to medium and ~40 dips down to 20 for doom eternal

for whatever that says about performance

Nah, with the golden Mew card that you got from Burger King back when the first Pokemon movie was in theater. There was only one Burger King here at that time and you basically needed a car to get there cause it wasn’t in the city. Never got one. Or any of the other cool stuff from Burger King. But lots of McDonalds Happy Meal toys (the action figures like from Disney movies and the Batman - The Animated Series were actually pretty high quality stuff; also the Hot Wheels cars).