The Lounge 0001 [From the Beginning]

My plan as well

2 Likes

luckily I still have all mine apart from most of then not working but as @Main_Main said can probably fix them easily. The consoles I have that are in the best condition is two N64s and my gamecube that I really want to setup again but sadly have no controllers for it.

2 Likes

most of them used through hole parts but your soldering iron should be able to QFP chips no problem quad flat pack

2 Likes

Overpriced 3rd party consoles and expensive mods or bust!
$50 GBA off ebay? Nah, $400 modded one!

2 Likes

i honestly wouldnt mind paying extra for a premodded one

Yep I might actually look into doing this soon. WIll be a fun little project fixing up my old consoles and iā€™ll be good practice. When I do think Iā€™ll start on my PSOne first as it should be the easiest to fix.

2 Likes

I imported a used GBA from Japan for $12 shipped

3 Likes

uhem
https://www.retromodding.com/collections/gameboy-advance/products/metal-jesus-rocks-ultimate-gba-gameboy-advance-v2?variant=5436656353313

1 Like

rofl

1 Like

If i had spare money then i would consider it

1 Like

tbh, iā€™d rather get a Switch and hope for online store versions of the old games.

3 Likes

The switch is nice but having that would be cool in its own right.

I could easily make the argument of not paying for second hand hardware and just using emulator but there are some feelings you just dont replace

3 Likes

Is it worth $400, though? For a modded GBA?

Sure, those mods are very convenient improvements over the OG GBA and an emulator just doesnā€™t give you the same feeling while playing, but stillā€¦$400.

2 Likes

The price isnt a issue with me. money has no real value. I can personally care less whether or not i have some.

People are out there spending a $1000+ on a GPU when you can still game on something like a 680. How is this any different? Im just paying more for better quality hardware. Sure i may be paying the Metal Jesus Rocks tax but is it worth it for a already assembled model?

Same price as a new console and would have the same feeling as a new console to me

3 Likes

they also sell DIY kits for it for $200
https://www.retromodding.com/products/metal-jesus-rocks-ultimate-gameboy-advance-v2-diy-kit?variant=5436712550433

1 Like

Would still rather pay the $400

2 Likes

I think it be a fun project, but I get why youā€™d rather get it pre assembled

1 Like

For me it has in the sense of what I can get for it. Iā€™d put $400 towards something more versatile/ā€œessentialā€ than a gaming device. At least as long as there is stuff above it on my priority list (like a new desk/chair, NAS, shelves for books/mangas, etc). The mobility aspect is nice and all but unless I really need to take that thing with me everywhere I go (like laptop vs desktop) Iā€™d personally put mobility somewhere at the bottom of the priority list for a specific device.

Like, how much can I get out of an amount of money? What aspects am I willing to trade off so I can buy something else too?

I wouldnā€™t spend $1000+ on a GPU either. Price to performance + available budget. If Iā€™d have $1000 to spend on a GPU Iā€™d get one for way less than that (probably about half or even less) and put the rest of the budget towards something else. And there are other things that are to be taken into account with a GPU. A modded GBA is an entire system, while the GPU is just a component. What CPU are you pairing it with? What monitor are you using? What games will you be playing? I donā€™t think itā€™s that simple.

Thatā€™s what bugged me with the PS Vita. At release it (the 3G version, restricted to one provider) cost almost as much as a PS3 and I never felt like it was worth the price. It never got the same games as consoles, always ā€œspin offsā€ with less content, the accessories were expensive af (proprietary memory cards?). To me those were trade offs for mobility that just werenā€™t worth it to me. Despite the same price I didnā€™t feel like I would get as a ā€œcomplete package/experienceā€ as with a console for the same price.

I sense hammers rustling in the distance

5 Likes

Admins be likeā€¦

1 Like