Anime Discussion Corner

Yuru Camp is so good. While it’s shorter it definitely rivals K-ON for me.
While I like the idea of camping I’m not one to enjoy it, at least not at music festivals. But this show makes it really appealing in a non-advertising way (like some other shows that focus on a hobby and explain everything about it like a guide, rather than an anime).

2 Likes

Favorite character:

1 Like

1 Like

I’ve mostly been reading manga and ignoring anime for the most part recently. Barely watched anything from the current season (only Hinamatsuri, Comic Girls, Tachibanakan To Lie Angle and skipped through the current season of Food Wars).
But Yuru Camp is running on repeat while I waste time on the internet and read manga.

Been reading:

• So I’m A Spider, So What?
  • Food Wars
  • Horimiya
  • Brawling Go (manwha, nsfw)
  • Rough Sketch Senpai
  • Hetakoi (partly nsfw)
  • While Killing Slimes for 300 Years, I Became the MAX Level Unknowingly
  • Sweet Guy (manwha, nsfw)
  • Yarisugi Companion to Atashi Monogatari (nsfw)
  • Nana to Kaoru (nsfw)
  • Kimi no Iru Machi
  • Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii (also has the anime airing currently)

And right now I’m reading Itoshi no Kana (nsfw) which is about a guy who lost his home and job and now lives in an abandoned building where the ghost of a girl who killed herself resides.

I feel like if I’m forgetting some mangas that I read. I prefer the ones that are finished cause I don’t like waiting until a new chapter comes out (especially if the previous one ended with a cliffhanger).

edit: oh, and it really sucks that MAL has been pretty limited for a while now.

edit 2: finished Itoshi no Kana and moved on to Baketeriya. It has some pacing issues at first and feels hasted but I guess it was just a bumpy beginning and/or I got used to it. The rough setting reminds me a bit of Youkai Apartment no Yuuga na Nichijou (at least the anime, can’t speak for the manga), as both protagonists are surrounded by yokai, although the ones in Baketeriya are less friendly.

edit 3: well, that took quite a disappointing turn. it seems as if Baketeriya lost a lot of popularity while it was being released and the author had to cut it short. a whole year was skipped, everything else was rushed, just to get it to an ending. the ending wasn’t satisfying at all. it’s a shame, though. until the sudden change it was quite entertaining.

1 Like

Just finished up. Certainly my second favorite of the season after Hinamatsuri.

Comic Girls is probably my third favorite of this season, followed by Amanchu! Advance then Uma Musume surprisingly enough.

Below that everything is just alright to meh with 1 dropped.

1 Like

I dropped a manga that was just terrible. It reads like it was the idea of your typical white knight neckbeard.
An 30+ virgin NEET throws himself in front of a truck to save some normies and gets reincarnated as a little boy in a fantasy world. The first volume reads like some irl virgin neckbeard’s power fantasy in a world where he finally gets all the good stuff he deserves…just sad.
Honestly, I have no idea how this shit got 23 volumes out (novel) since 2014.

I liked the manga more tbh. Momose has a weird voice, imo.

Easily the 5th round since yesterday.

1 Like

Started reading Magetsukan Kitan. After 7 chapters it seems to be your run of the mill “guy lives in a monster house, all the people who live there are monsters but good people and he has a love interest with potentially more girls getting interested in him” kind of manga. It’s also drawn in an older style which gives it some nostalgia. Nothing outstanding but entertaining for what it is.

Oh, and I decided to collect the Yuru Camp manga. First volume should arrive today, second on monday and 3-5 pre-ordered. And a bunch of other manga pre-ordered that are listed now (Barakamon 16, The Devil is a Part-Timer 12, Goblin Slayer 4, Overlord 7).

Sounds super cliche and terrible…

Only 1 show can pull something like that off, that being Konosuba. still hoping for a third season…

1 Like

tbh, while there were many annoying things in it, re:zero was pretty good too - although less comedy and more serious.
Grimgar: Ashes and Illusions was good too (also less comedy than Konosuba).
And Overlord. Even SAO is better than this neckbeard power fantasy.

If that white knight neckbeard novel gets an anime…then there seriously is no hope left.
The way the protagonist talks…it’s all so cringey. Like, he’s a NEET, a virgin loser, he envies the normies and does the “eventhough they look down on me, I’m so much of a better person that I sacrifice my own life to save them” move.
The art in the manga is actually really good but it feels like wasted resources cause of the source material.

1 Like

Finally watched (mostly skipped through) the last few episodes of Rosario to Vampire 2.
The series overall is meh while the idea has so, so, so potential: highschool boy accidentally ends up going to a school for monster and he falls in love with a highschool vampire girl. The other students can’t know that he’s human cause they’re not allowed there (kind of a “we hate humans and want to kill/eat them” vibe).

But it’s too direct with no nuance. Kinda plain characters that would be the same if it wasn’t for the monster part.
Also looooots of panty fanservice but in this case it’s annoying cause a) they highschoolers and b) it’s too much. Like, waaayy too much.

Finished Magetsukan Kitan yesterday. It was good. Could’ve been longer but I decided to go with a finished series cause I don’t like to catch up with the latest chapter and then having to wait for who knows how long until a new one comes out.

After some browsing I decided to read Umi no Misaki. Gotou Nagi moves from Tokyo to an island. I liked that setting in Barakamon. tbh, that’s kinda all it took for me to start reading it.

“Drama” being among the included genres kinda turns me off cause it’s usually some bs about the protagonist and the main love interest being separated (jealousy, a misunderstanding, not being honest about their feelings, etc). That’s just unnecessary shit I don’t like. Usually it only adds a few chapters that are useless, kinda like a filler but way less interesting.

Finished Umi no Misaki. It was good.

So, the twist in the story I was expecting actually came. There’s almost always some sort of death pact happening when it’s about religion. Nagi - as the Dragon God - had to choose one of the shrine maidens but what he didn’t know was that he and the shrine maiden were supposed to commit suicide in the sea to complete a cycle. He was able to avoid that though.

Now I need to look for a new, long, finished series to keep me occupied. That’s the part I dislike the most. There’s so much crap to sift through and even more stuff that has some points that ruin it for me.

I’ve heard great things about Great Teacher Onizuka if you haven’t seen that yet. It’s 43 episodes.

Other long ones on my list include:

• Kimagure Orange Road
  • Maison Ikkoku
  • Nana
  • Ranma 1/2
  • Ruroni Kenshin
  • Shugo Chara
  • Soul Eater
  • Urusei Yatsura
  • Rose of Versailles

There may be something in there for you idk for sure though since viewing lists is still a no go for MAL

1 Like

That’s a classic. Binge-watched the anime a while ago. Kinda old-fashioned but really really good. There are some manga spin-offs but I’ve never read them.

Watched the anime instead. And Soul Eater Not.

Watched this as a teen…never really warmed up to it despite the solid premise.

For now I’ve settled for the continuation of Nana to Kaoru. It’s centered around BDSM but it’s really worth a read imo, as it shows it’s not just tying someone up and spanking them. The deep relationship between dom and sub, the emotional breakthroughs. It’s really interesting.

btw, I’m looking for manga, not anime :wink:
and I think by now I should be known for being really picky :stuck_out_tongue:

Aaaand I finished Nana to Kaoru: Black Label. Good continuation but still not a proper end.

And it seems a manhwa I read (Pervert Club) got cancelled due to the author getting drunk and harassing female authors. It’s a shame the series got cancelled but fuck that guy. (apparently Lezhin Comics has a history of being a shady - not paying people they hired, blacklisting from promotional events, etc).

Unfortunately the tracking API is still not working with MAL, so I added the ones I remember/have on my tablet manually (warning: some manga are NSFW).

Uhm…what else?

Started watching it, at Ep.10 now. Kinda boring tbh. Not much going on and I find the idolization of Western Royalty annoying. Still watching cause not much else going on (just waiting for other anime to get more episodes).

1 Like

I found it to be quite meh. Not as bad as 3d kanojo but that’s not saying much.

1 Like

It felt too forced imo.

It was on my list before the season started but when I read that it gets really cliché and boring I decided to not bother.

Just started Märchen Mädchen eventhough I read that the last episode was a mess (terrible animation and whatnot).

The last episode they aired wasn’t near as bad as the penultimate one… and they only aired 10 of the 12 they had planned. Show wasn’t very good anyway, but I’d like to finish it up since it wasn’t bad enough for me to drop.

It’s extremely slow. Just skipped through Ep.02.

There’s just something about Boku no Hero Academia. Eventually I got bored with it. Just the same old shounen anime yadda yadda yadda. But even after just skipping through a few episodes this feeling caught me again, feeling with the characters, cheering them on, wanting them to win and the weight of their success. No idea how the studio does it but they really understand how to convey those feelings to the viewer. It sure is weird, feeling the same enthusiasm for what happens in a show as I did as a kid.