Philosophical High times with Dje4321

This has been in my head a while so writing it down before it passes.

The next huge shift we could see is a so called children’s rights movement. With technology and the internet increasing not only the level of knowledge of kids but their understanding of the knowledge. We could see a huge shift where kids band together to demand their own set of rights. This could be everything from protection from overbearing parents, privacy rights, right to free time, etc. Probably wont happen in my lifetime but it will probably happen eventually.

2 Likes

thats and interesting thought. In society there a lot kids are generally not allowed todo. Do you see this movement as a way to allow kids to take more control and have independence from their parents on how they choose to live their lives? such as allowing them to take more decisions on the major events and direction that affect their lives which the responsibility usually lies on their parents to decide? In so this could give them more equal opportunities and freedoms to their adult counterparts?

1 Like

Not just their parents but also stuff like schools. My aunt had a rule where if you did the dishes and there was a single dish that wasnt 100% clean then she would dirty every dish in the house and make you wash them all. Or the parents that control every aspect of their kids lives from what music they listen, games they play, etc and you can watch the life drain out of these kids as they are not only disconnected from their peers but also from the actual world.

Is also the cases of parents using their kids as slave labor. They come home and their is a list with 20+ items on it + the homework they have todo + the sports they are forced to participate in. Most of the time they goto bed with 6-7 hours of sleep only to wake up and repeat it all over again.

Look at the kids that are forced todo pageants and how much they hate not only themselves but their parents as well. They DESPISE it but yet they are forced todo it all the same as if they are just some doll that can be dressed up.

Sure a teacher might say they only give out a hour of homework but when you have 6-8 other teachers doing the same then your free time just goes out the window with zero questions asked. Schools should be about learning and homework should be something to help you learn and not something todo because you learned it. Math is ESPECIALLY the worst about this. 80+ problems about algrebra and you have to show your work. Now not only are you making people hate math but they also now only accept 1 solution as the correct one regardless of whether its the best one for them or not. Lets not even get started about how no job would EVER expect you do spend all day at work and then come home and keep working off clock.

This would mostly allow them to gradually go into the adult world instead of being thrust into it

1 Like

maybe this should be a thing sooner rather than later. A kid shouldn’t have to worry about any of that and have the freedom to find themselves as they go into the world. I get that some parents do that for their “protection” and sure they might make mistakes but thats part of growing up and they’ll be a better person for it. My parents could be strict at times but they weren’t unreasonable and at least gave me the freedom to decide what I wanted in my free time. I mean I stayed out late at night climbing walls and getting into fights and I didn’t turn out too bad for it.

It has to come from the kids though. Anywhere else and parents will ALWAYS react against it because the big government is telling them how to raise their kids and only they get to make that decision. Hardest part about that for them is actually having their voice heard. No adult ever listens to the kids. Its always spun as hormones, boys, etc causing them to make rash decisions when they want nothing more than to expresss themselves freely.

1 Like

your absolutely right. in many ways children are probably some of the most marginalised people with decisions on everything that affects their lives being made for them by people who don’t fully understand or know what there going though. similarly it would be difficult to come from somewhere else because children don’t have a voice or somebody to represent them in today’s society who understands them as they can’t vote or decide what direction the the county is going and what polices are being made that could very much affect them.

semi political point but i’ll leave it here. teens were not allowed to vote in the Brexit referendum and the outcome of it would affect them way more than anyone else who voted

1 Like

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.

1 Like

Another one of society’s huge problem is the fact that society seems to be ignoring the human condition. I look back on older shows and they always seemed to be dealing with the human condition. If a character ever had something that made them miserable, sad, angry, etc then someone would voluntarily (It is a show after all) step up and help them understand and help them work through it. Compare it to modern day stuff where peoples main reaction is to just ignore what they feel and/or pass of what they feel as being someone elses fault. Becky dumped you? Lets go hit up the bar and find you a new girl, She was a bitch anyway.

3 Likes

I think a lot of that now has todo with people also not wanting to talk or be open about their feeling too and similarly when somebody is having issues its an expected norm to pass it off because as much easier to ignore and pretend everything is fine or make other excuses about it than dealing with the real issues.

1 Like

I propose that we will never stop discovering stuff. The new things we discover are just the little fisures in our math

1 Like

The thing about being humans is that curiosity is so inherently in our nature that if there’s something to be discoursed you can be damn sure we’ll try our best to uncover it even if that road takes us to the very ends of the universe.

1 Like

Ok hear me out. How the fuck would we react to WW2 making it to the space race and japan gets kamikaze missiles. Super quick and easy to build, can do a fairly large payload with impressive accuracy

1 Like

Funny though that was actually a real thing and Japan had kamikaze missiles during WWII. They were mostly used as an offensive weapon against ships and the US fleets quickly realized just how destructive this threat was and increase their defensive perimeter around the fleet to catch them further out before they could hit key targets as they were soo fast and accurate and able to hit with the force of a 2600lb bomb.

Had the war lasted longer and japan able to refine it further a craft like this designed to attack population centers would’ve been devastating for the allies at a time when accurate guided missiles were but a dream and would likely have accelerated missile defensive’s that intercepted them in flight, however early on i would expect the best we could do was increase the amount of anti-aircraft installations and place them further out of cities and factories to protect key infrastructure similar to how the fleets increased their defensive rings to catch any before they could do major damage but thats all assuming they weren’t an ICBM type missile and in that case we would’ve been fucked with likely very little we could do to stop them before more advance missile defensive’s were designed.

1 Like

I think the next step in our evolutionary timeline is gonna be when we manage to encode all known things. Imagine a system where anything you could ever want to know is available and the more stuff you throw at it, the better it will be at finding it. 6 degrees of separation means the further away you get from the origin, the higher the chance you have of finding what you want.

1 Like

The moment AR takes over is when we are able to design transparent glasses with a display built into them. Imagine walking down the street and having stuff like a stores menu just hoving in front of it. After many generations would could see features like built in night vison goggles and help bring a end to our light polution problem.

1 Like

I just want AR to get to the point where it can be built into my eye glasses seamlessly. I have to wear them anyway and it’d be cool being able to just pull up information for stuff I’m working on/doing without having to take out my phone all the time. If I’m lost in a city I can have my own mini map with arrows on the street pointing me towards to my destination with tool tips for street names and such as I go along.

1 Like

You might not need them with AR. It could correct it for you with cameras but probably gonna be way higher quality to just use glass for it XD

1 Like

ye cameras would be cool if they could do stuff like optical zoom or apply different filters. kinda like reactions lenses but with way more control over the picture, though the latency over just straight glass might suck lol

Are you sure we’ll start there again? As of now AR and “smart glasses” aren’t really a thing for the mainstream masses. So do you think the next time it’s being marketed towards them it’s still gonna be “glasses”?
iirc the latest thing was lasers projecting images directly into your eyes. in combination with eye tracking that’s sophisticated enough to let you navigate menus and stuff with your eye movement AND the whole thing small enough to be the same size as regular (sun-)glasses would probably be the breakthrough it takes to get the ball rolling. even if the initial price is high, if there’s an interest and first adopters like with foldable phones and manufacturers keeping at it, improving, fine-tuning, lowering the price, then it could take off for the mainstream.

Job stuff