Post what new thing you acquired recently

Ultra Street Fighter IV (on sale, Humble Store; cause apparently the latest is just a shitty money grab with tons of DLC) I’m usually not huge into beat em ups but watching Hi Score Girl made me want to play one. I think the last one I played was Soul Calibur 2+3 on the PS2 and Tekken Dark Resurrection on the PSP

Titan Quest Anniversary Edition (also on sale, Humble Store; seems that you got it for free when it was released if you already had the regular Steam version but not the CD version)

Titan Quest Ragnarök (also on sale, Humble Store)

2 Likes

Just got an old TV for free and about to get a PS2 for $35 with GTA San Andreas and a few others, lol nice.
Will post in lounge probably when it’s all set up

4 Likes

These came in the post today. Ended up going with a pack of 24 30mm ones for now

They also work great as cable management rings and used them to route my Volta charge and Switch RCM cables too :smiley:

2 Likes

Got my first wrist watch in years. Kinda got tired of always pulling my phone out to see what time it is when I’m out. Although, I probably wouldn’t have bought one if Amazon wasn’t being a jerk and made the siphon I needed a Plus product (and I had to get the total to 20€).

Casio W-800H-AVES1

2 Likes

Not a calculator watch BOO!!! /s

Neat. I want to get a watch at some point but the stupid call center bans smart watches XD

2 Likes

At one point my brother wasn’t allowed to wear his smart watch at work so he just acted as if it was a normal watch and none noticed the difference just looking at the watch face lol

2 Likes

I still can’t see me using one. Just another thing I have to charge every few days and doesn’t really add any features that I’m missing.
Just need something that shows me what time/date it is with very little/no maintenance. Replace the battery every few years and that’s it. Maybe get an aftermarket band cause the resin bands seem to break after a few years (depending on use).

It’s one of those gadgets that I’ll gladly keep “dumb”.

I’d want a smart watch at some point there actually pretty cool for getting information at a glance like text messages, notification, weather and such I just don’t really need one right now to justify it but my other family members with them swear by there’s.

The battery on them though isn’t as bad as you’d might expect too as they motion sense for the screen when you need it and otherwise sip the power and can last quite a long time easily plus charging them is usually with contact pins on bottom so you can just put it down on the table to charge while your sleeping with no wires needed.

afaik this depends on the specific smart watch. they can vary quite a bit. and some even have build quality issues in the 2nd iteration (I think it’s the Fossil smart watch which has the bottom come off due to shitty adhesive).

can also depend on the model.
and what do you do if the battery life decreases over time? with a dumb watch I can pretty much get it replaced at any jewelry/watch store or even do it myself.

no idea how much the BT connection drains the battery on both the watch and the phone. wouldn’t make sense if the notifications didn’t show up immediately upon receiving them on the phone.

lol my mother has a Fossil smart watch. its held up pretty well so far but iirc Fossil don’t actually make those watches and outsource them to Compal Electronics which is an OEM in china so I wouldn’t be surprised. (I only know this is because my router lists the mac address for the watch as Compal Information (kunshan) and I had no idea what the device was and had to look it up.

Ye that can be big down side though is most it isn’t terrible to replace them. On my brothers there’s four screws at the bottom and inside another three for the mainboard inside and you can get at the battery and replace it. again not as easy but a 30 minute job for someone competent enough to read ifixit.

Don’t really have any information on this but there phones and watch usually last a day or so under normal usage which is good enough for them.

1 Like

Also to add this, OLED models are top dog.

1 Like

ye OLEDs are great, they don’t have a backlight and can just set the time to always on while keeping everything else pitch black still sipping power.

But change the watch face every now and then to decrease the chance of burn-in.

ye because the time isn’t static there is very little if any chance of burn-in. Samsung does this with their OLED phones too and it works well.

For now I’m fine with IPS displays in phones. It’s annoying enough to take care of the battery, don’t wanna have to watch out what I can and can’t do with my phone to prevent burn-in (avoiding auto brightness, never set it to max brightness, etc).

ye actually my past two phones were IPS (both LG G5s) and have/had really bad screen burn-in around the edges of the display, got the first one replace with this one because of it as its a known design flaw with them, sadly can’t replace this one though as it has the same warranty as the first but otherwise it works fine and is only slightly annoying so :woman_shrugging:

Huh, I thought IPS (LCD) displays were “immune” to burn-in and just suffer from temporary “shadowing/ghosting” that goes away after some time?

1 Like

ye that more describes what happens to the display. It’ll retain what was on it for a while after I’ve stopped viewing it. I.E everyones avatar on the forum etc will be visible before fading away.

1 Like

Still annoying but less than actual burn in.

1 Like

I got a new watch:

Why?: The time keeping of the watch I had are in the stage of critically failure. I got that watch appraised and it would cost me more to fix it versus getting one. So I got a new one. The watch advertised the battery last 10 years… and only 30 bucks. I set the time to be five minutes ahead. It does have a dual time mode but I decided to leave that to Saturday to tinker with.

3 Likes