The Lounge 0001 [From the Beginning]

lockpicking lawyer has entered the chat

well yes and it’s fairly easy to pick that lock but the amount of time required to do it and it being in the middle of downtown (well, it’s not really much of a downtown, but still) means it’s fairly unlikely to have someone do that. Not impossible though.

ye dunno, least have prolly fairly accurate list of previous employees/info etc

yeah pretty much 90% sure who it is but theres a small chance it could be the other guy that could’ve done it. but either way gave the police the info on both. one of the reasons why is the person rifled through some of the files in one of the desks and now the 90% guys stuff is gone so what a genius it’s almost like to be on payroll you need to have your stuff in that system too lol. so yeah.
and with it being a felony-charge level of stealing the police are probably going to go after whoever it ends up being pretty hardcore, though if that happens I’ll probably have to be in court at least at some point. because i was the one that found everything the way it was.

might who knows lol

well, through basically luck i might be getting a 2016 15" macbook pro i7 2.9/512gb ssd (sadly, the touchbar one, but meh) for $300 because one of the businesses here is doing the semi-annual clear-out of old computers, so that is nice. and the same place my work might buy a whole bunch of x79 and newer desktops and 4th gen and newer laptops. Neat.
Also shipped out some Core 2 duo based thinkpads to Germany, so that was interesting doing customs. But since they were so cheap didn’t really cost a lot extra.
Other than that no news yet on the above stuff, which is whatever.

1 Like

started on server shiz so far pretty easy to input it into the console part just gotta add the part where it finishes the list(probably just another command to exit back to the earlier loop, since i put in checks for the multiply/dupe rename etc commands so you cant use them while editing guide, just gonna be a list of the registered lists, in order of appearance in the guide output, prob just add it as an alias to the back command if you are in guide

is the displaying the list gonna be the pain, have to account for the indexing and stuff, if it hits end of list to go back to beginning(also accounting for indexing)

then decide on formatting, thinking like:

ch1 list name
segment 1
segment 2
segment 3
segment 4
segment 5

ch2 list name
segments

so on

just cause never know how people name their shit, even with putting in something to only output the final part of the string after the last \ or / w.e. could be ~255characters long for the file name filesystem depending, as well as the list name, could be really high number of registered channels(like upto 15 digits) would be like ~1600 characters or something like that for the higher limits per line if did the segments on same line as the list name

but can always edit formatting fairly easily

sup?

edit2:
ended up adding a sub command to the guide, where if you specify one of the channels(based on the channel numbers) then it would show 25 segments for only that one

but still testing/getting it goin when interrupted by the keyboard battery goin low and mouse not working and stuff so charging that currently

edit3: mostly done testing the guide functions but not done the change channel ones yet, also might redo it slightly so you can do by channel number or listname idk, decisions i guess

Picked up a bunch of MITX systems today, some second but mainly 6th gen i5. And got myself a terminal model M for $5

1 Like

lol cool

Got the newish MacBook Pro, now will be living the dongle life lol. But it’s still the nicest laptop I’ve yet owned and the onboard GPU is roughly equivalent to a desktop RX 460 so it’s not too bad for 1080p gaming at least. Cpu is pretty nice though as it’s a top spec model, with the i7 7920hq CPU.

Will see how it goes. I don’t know how I feel yet about the touchpad as trying to right click is confusing, but it’s otherwise quite decent as far as keyboard. Not great and certainly nothing like the previous MBP keyboards which are really nice but meh.
The touch bar is… fine? Once I get everything set up on it I’ll see if it’s more than just a gimmick but for standard uses it seems somewhat like a downgrade from having physical keyboard buttons. As you have sliders and things for the volume so instead of just hitting up or down volume/brightness etc you have to look at the little screen to make sure it’s where you want to setting to be.

It does have Touch ID on it though so that’s really nice for logging in and such.
edit
also, the speakers on this laptop are insanely good.

1 Like

idk man desktop 460 is devastating still faster then a steamdeck like 5years later

So aparently its Cybersecurity Awareness Month and in the spirit of improving secruity for everyone did you know the forum supports two-factor authentification? To enable it go to your account preferences, click on secruity and select Manage Two-Factor Authentification and from there you can choose your authentification mehtod

It supports any TOTP based authenticator including Google Authenticator, open souce alternatives like andOTP, Bitwarden, and even physical Secruity Key’s like the Yubikey. Device based 2FA using app authenticators or physcial secruity keys is one of the best measures you can take to make your account more secure from unauthorized access.

2 Likes

ok now I’ve at least figured out how right clicking works, you use one finger to left and two fingers while clicking to do a right click. For normal use and for RTS games this is fine but it makes gaming on anything that needs both clicks more or less impossible. Also the touchpad gestures are neat. Switching windows for example is easy.
Some features of the touchbar that are actually quite useful are for one, built in spell checker. And since it is near my line of sight while typing it actually makes sense.

Also, media controls are neat.

if i cared enough to i could connect my phone to the laptop and use messaging and then have the assortment of emojis on the touchbar, but meh? i don’t use them enough to ever do that.

Tested out some games, at the highest settings Civ V at the native 2880x1800 runs at 40-60 FPS. Tried the 2013 Tomb Raider and it runs at 45-60FPS, usually sitting at 55-60 but the occasional dips lower than that at High settings 1920x1200 except with only 2x not 8x MSAA.
Will try some more that have native Mac OS support, and then bootcamp to compare the performance.

Amusingly, Empire: Total War runs much faster on this MBP than it does on my 1800X/1650 Super rig, but I think thats more down to optimization and fixes applied when porting it to Mac OS than anything. As the Windows version still has a lot of issues for me when taking turns and such especially late game, which doesn’t seem to be an issue on the ported version.

< just remember them old one button ones lol, then the stupid clear ones where the buttons are in terrible locations, like one extra button thats on either side but you gotta claw grip your thumb more cause isnt in the middle of the side its at the bottom and isnt like a left click its hinge the whole mouse down

changed guide to do names instead and changed the formatting for the output of the list name/number outputs

also broke 100k minutes with the stats running lol

Found a … working? PowerBook G4 Titanium 1ghz/512mb ram here. Neat. Will mess with it some more, the last PowerPC thing I worked on was a G5 Mac

Edit; yep it works.

1 Like

sup?

1 Like

My Discord client is using memory than this entire computer has right now XD

It can go up to a whole 1gb of sdram lol. The shop owner has a number of ide to m.2 adapters so I’ll probably be throwing in some potato ssd in it… because as it is it took like 3 hours to install Mac OS 10.5 lmao
Will need a new battery for it as well before listing it, but then it will be pretty much as good as it gets for a Titanium G4.
Also, 12in iBook g4 that works next to it. Which took 4 hours to install 10.5 despite being faster than the titanium PowerBook. Has like a 1.3 GHz or something like that. But it has a working battery, still need to clean it though.

Other neat things, going to repair this old compaq portable II that blew a capacitor. It’s #13 in the middle pic

Also a working Tandy 1000. Need to find a keyboard and mouse for it but still. And the IBM Personal Computer Color display works as well

2 Likes

bacc when radioshack stood for somethin