The Lounge 0001 [From the Beginning]

I always kept my SSIDs split for each band as otherwise could never be sure. 2.4GHz is mostly for legacy devices and 5GHz for everything else. Though technically I only have 5GHz myself under separate VLAN ids (one for main and the other with Nintendo DNS blocking

SSIDs

Screenshot%20from%202019-06-23_21%3A06%3A59

1 Like

Until recently all my devices only supported 2.4GHz. Are 4-5 year old devices really legacy already?

fitness related thing (if anyone caresā€¦ lol) ā€¦ i was wondering how i got to 220lbs and then i remembered how much Iā€™ve been working out since i got here (200ish pushups a day on my arm days, leg days, a whole bunch of randomness) and wellā€¦ here i am now :smiley:

my ugly mug

for reference, i was 205lbs before basic.
after i get to phase 2 in a weekish Iā€™ll start doing the Thor workout and see how that goes :smiley:

1 Like

at the rate tech advances I guess they kinda are, though Iā€™ve got 5 year old devices that are still 5GHz and work fine today.

1 Like

Until I got the Motorola none of my devices even supported 5GHz, so for me itā€™s quite new. Same with USB Type C (although I donā€™t understand why they bothered using it with the 2.0 standard and not just made all Type C compatible devices 3.0/3.1).

Holy mother of storms lol

1 Like

Type C is just a connector and still makes sense for devices that donā€™t require 3.0 speeds like peripherals and embedded devices because of the any side insertion making it rated for longer life. The only thing wrong with type C was the marketing around it and people thinking it was always 3.1 gen 2 if it has that connector.

1 Like

That and the number of cables that donā€™t meet the specs. iirc there was some guy from Google who - in his spare time - tested USB Type C cables for their specs and a lot of them failed (some even being a fire hazard).

edit: apparently the problem is only with USB A to USB C.

Yes, the main problem is with ā€œlegacy cablesā€, Type-A plug to Type-C in particular. The Type-C specifications define the primary mechanism of how the consuming port (phone/tablet, or Upstream Facing Port, UFP) detects source capability.
If a standard C-C cable is used, the supplying port (Downstream Facing port, DFP) ā€œadvertisesā€ its capability by using three different pull-up resistors on CC pin. If a 5V pull-up reference is used, these values are 56k, 22k, and 10k, for portā€™s capability of 500mA, 1500mA, and 3000mA correspondingly. The CC wire propagates this information from DFP to the end of Type-C cable. The connected device (phone) will (should) detect this, and limit its consumption accordingly.
Now, what to do if you have only a legacy Type-A port on your host, as most PCs do? The Type-A does not have any extra pins like CC. The Type-C Specification suggests embedding this information into the Type-C end of the legacy A->C cable. Therefore, the ā€œinformation channelā€ is broken now, and the phone will try to grab as much current as the pull-up resistor inside the Type-C overmold indicates, which is soldered by cableā€™s manufacturer. Since the cable does not know which port you will plug it in, the safe cable pull-up should be 56k, otherwise the phone can try to suck 1.5A or even 3A from the cable. If the port is a regular USB, the requested cable power may vastly exceed portā€™s capability. With cheap uncontrolled power delivery (some cheap PC mainboards connect the VBUS directly to internal +5VSTBY), it will cause system shutdown.
If the port is powerful enough, but the cable in use is skinny (Type-C cables can have as low as 28AWG on VBUS and GND wires) and the C-connector has wrong 10k pull-up, the cable might burn out and cause fire.

Good to know. And a good thing my motherboard has a USB Type C port on the back. So Iā€™ll probably get a USB C to C cable. Charging my tablet via USB C to A is gonna take fucking long (over 7000mAh).

1 Like

Do you know where I could find the 2016 bios to an msi gs63vr 6rf?

You would have to get the java edition

1 Like

msi has all the things if you search that specific model. will be under the support page

oh well. still, $3 for minecraft lol

but it isnā€™t

MSI website is odd, have to find the second page, hiding in the first one lol
also why would you need it anyway
the 2018 one is newerā€¦ and has improvements and etc
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GS63VR-6RF-Stealth-Pro

The laptop hasnā€™t run right since I updated the bios.

tenor

Have you tried updating it again? Or do you know that itā€™s a bug introduced with that update?

All I know is its not as stable as it was when I got it pre update

tried a clear cmos? (Not just a bios setting reset)

shouldve anyway after a bios reset but often fixes issues with bios flashes that seem iffy

Arenā€™t there any other BIOS updates in between the ā€œbadā€ update and the one youā€™re looking for?