The Lounge 0001 [From the Beginning]

I don’t remember those. We had this one. I was so hyped as a kid but never got it.

we got those here from going to the movie/buying a ticket to it

Was that just from the theaters?

But I definitely remember the first movie coming with this abomination on VHS.

the mew ancient card think so but dunno all the promotions and stuff they did, had bunch random stuff though like pokemon events at big malls and stuff where could unlock events in your game cart and stuff

Should be getting a retired Dell Optiplex 3050 from my mom’s workplace today (they’ve been replaced with laptops when they started letting people work from home at the start of the pandemic).
i5-7500 w/ Intel HD Graphics 630, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, and a license for the OS (I hope it’s Win10 and not Win7 again like with the ones that had a 2500/K)
No idea which size (there are 3).

It’s not gonna be for me, though. My grandma’s PC is still running on a AMD A6-5400K with 4 gigs of ram and a 1TB HDD.

I just hope the printer/scanner will work with it and not be all stupid with the drivers.

2 Likes

Not sure if this would help but if your using an HP networked printer on Windows (will probably work for others too) I would recommend adding the printer manually using ipp (Internet Printing Protocol) with its ip address directly and then select and install the drivers specifically for that printer from the add printer interface.

The driver installer from HP installs all sorts of bloatware and doesn’t have sane default, like using broadcasts to search for the printer and can’t find it half the time without rebooting it. doing this resolved like 99% of my frustration of HPs shit printer support on Windows.

1 Like

HP, yes, but very old. Photosmart C3180.
The latest version of Windows on their website was Vista.

Also yes. For some time now, every time I turn it on it tries to print a test page which I have to abort manually to save ink.
The “error” window that pops up to tell you if the paper is jammed, not enough ink/ink levels, a job was cancelled, etc. it using flash and now it’s just a window with a big flash logo and doesn’t show any information anymore.

I tend to not fuck with the software cause I’m concerned it might just stop working or something.

Been pushing off buying a mono laser printer for a while now.

edit: the last driver version is from 2015…

edit2: PC is here, hooked up and awaiting the Win10 install stick (only had ones with English language).
Specs are all in order. The SSD is a SATA and some Samsung. Also has a disc drive.
Oh, and it’s the slightly smaller case version but with SFF PSU. Kinda crap for upgrading but it’s an OEM PC, and those are always less upgrade-friendly than aftermarket parts (PSU, mobo, cooler, case, etc).

2 Likes

Is the PSU at least using a standard pin-out or is it one of those craptastic proprietary ones tied to the specifc motherboard in that machine? if its not and at least Flex ATX those can acutally fit and screw into a standard ATX case no problem so most parts might be reusable but knowing Dell I don’t have high hopes.

1 Like

It’s Dell, so I kinda doubt it. Only checked for dust and what SSD they put in when I had it open.
Plus, because of the small case size it would only fit a low profile GPU (not that one would be necessary).

For the intended purpose it should be enough.
The i5 and SSD are the biggest upgrades over the old system. Double the RAM doesn’t hurt either.

1 Like

ye def should work for basic use system

Absolutely.
My laptop has the U variant and 12 gigs of ram. Although, I’m using Kubuntu.
But the few point and click games I played on it before were all running smoothly, and that’s basically the same my grandma plays. Not the genre, but pretty much the same workload (match 3 and the likes).

Still need to install some drivers and software…and the fuck-ton of games she has. But it’s way too hot right now to have 2 PCs running in the same room, so that’ll probably be a task for next week.

sup yo?

Got a job doing computer refurb and whatnot, they have everything from an IBM PS1 to a bunch of IBM thinkpads, oddly also a fair amount of Macs/MacBooks. Going through it all and attempting to fix some or strip the ones that are pretty far gone, etc. if y’all want any old shit let me know lol. Or some… not super old (second to third gen i5 usually) HP and Lenovo’s there’s a bunch of them here that I’m working through.
It’s a filler job for me mainly if others don’t pan out but the fixing computers etc side is pretty nice, filling in for the sales floor is boring as hell but it’s something anyway.

1 Like

replacing burst caps?

Probably will have to on the Compaq Portable II that’s here and some of the other 90s tech, but most? Of the stuff is 2000s and newer and not a ton of desktops. Enough to make a couple of retro builds though and there’s a few of the now “collectible” 2000s gaming cases. I don’t get the appeal for the things but they would make a neat XP gaming build or something so

ye dunno seems like the dc barrel electrolytic always seem to go like 15~30years depending on quality and use

think for computers more like a 10~20 since get used alot more than guitar amps and stuff like that, besides some people just leaving pcs on 24/7 eventhough barely use them etc

least for most conventional reasonable quality circuits seems that goes first then it blows the transistors or somethin else, other than if they use shitty low spec ones/not proper cooling like the switching mosfets for power tools and stuff

The other thing they have here is 4 or 5 of the really nice CRTs from back in the day, one is a Dell Ultrascan 780, I might mess with those some. Personally I find them neat but just because of the weight and power draw wouldn’t want one but for a Retropie setup or something with emulators could be really cool

least nice crt tvs gonna start skyrocketing in price prolly

them light gun games/in general pixel shape and better contrast playin games on them much better than on normie quality lcds, especially on the lcds which have component and stuff

them 1080i trinitons are shizload on ebay

Yeah even these are like $200-250 now for 15 and 17” monitors let alone TVs and such.

Past couple of days I sorted through all this shit

Still have yet to touch all this

Also a project at some point is going through the 30+ toughbooks here

3 Likes

thats cool, assume you get some ability to pick thru and purchase shit if you want it?