The Lounge 0001 [From the Beginning]

Yeah. Can either buy it for the going rate (broken or working) or do some unpaid hours (they call it volunteer hours) to buy it for 25% of the price. Not unlike how Freegeek runs.

ye, decent prices on the stuff?

the freegeek had been to not that gud for newer stuff/some stuff, like wanted ~30$ for 1tb when you can get 2tb wd blues for like 58$ new, i get labor intensive for the excessive formatting and stuff they do but at some point idk just not even do it for small drives where its not profitable at a reasonable price

Usually it’s 5-15% off what the last few of whatever thing it is sold for on eBay, so can be hit or miss. But we do get a good employee discount and especially if it’s either been sitting a while or if it’s a bitch to ship

somethin atleast.

if i had room prob would pick up some drive shelfs or server cases to modify into not stupid loud disk shelves(prolly by putting in good lower volume fans and doing lower population like 50% removing material etc)

mostly cause lazy lol, maybe if had like 3 of them and just cut front/drive bays out and store them vertically or something, like 2-3 sets of them, if figure like ~40 ea even at reduced capacity would be like 40-60 bays but not loud af

Probably nostalgia. “Good ole days when you didn’t have many worries and the few you had were easy to escape from by playing on your PC.” kinda thing, I guess. Could be wrong, but seems possible to me.

I guess. Also amusing is the companies naming schemes from back then

A couple of the normal desktops

2 Likes

Would love a macbook air but trying to save money to move. Will keep in it mind though

funny you mention that, just tested one that semi works. it’s probably a first or second gen though.

also, got an early 08 macbook pro to work, will have to upgrade it to OS 10.9 tomorrow as it has snow leopard on it currently. probably will also through in some more ram as is it’s only 2gb iirc. but it’s one that has a semi OK core 2 duo (2.5? ghz i think) and DDR3 with a geforce 9600M and a 9400m. will use that as my laptop while there i think, just because.

also got a Core Duo 1.83Ghz with some radeon GPU to work, need to find the battery for it but otherwise it’s pretty much good to go. It’s ancient though so not worth a lot.
Single user mode is awesome for all these old macbooks, i just set the password to whatever I want with it and then go from there :stuck_out_tongue:

also got an Elitebook 8560W to work, just need to nuke it data wise and put win 10 on it but it has the Firepro M5950 in it so its the nicest spec that they made, only has an i5 2540m but meh. I think the battery may be shot but seems to work otherwise. still trying to get some kind of workshop set up to actually go through all the toughbooks, hps, and thinkpads. and then some of the other random shit

Got the mbp that I’ll be using while here on its upgrade to El Capitan, so that things actually are supported somewhat lol.

3 Likes

And it’s finally done, and threw in some better ram as well

Seems to also be the top spec model which is neat

1 Like

Troubleshot the MacBook Air and it needs a complete wipe and reinstall to see if it will work or not; seems at some point it overheated and now won’t get past halfway in the boot sequence and has IO errors in single user mode. Now that I have a working el Cap Mac should be easy enough to do.
Now working on this thing

1 Like

Even so, can only run KOTOR II at medium at 1440x900 at 30fps lol

Still not that terrible for an old laptop

1 Like

Lol, picked this out of the heap and it works surprisingly. Now reinstalling XP

2 Likes

Also randomly a power edge T610 (dual LGA 1366 board)

3 Likes

Are those X4 slot? XD

1 Like

You know its a server if it has X4 slots XD

X8s that are half length.

And some half length x4s for some reason

1 Like

Also has an internal USB port

So X4 then.

1 Like

The length and the speed aren’t the same thing, it’s just the most common to have half length be x4

On an earlier topic, best XP game

1 Like