The Lounge 0001 [From the Beginning]

Oh, I have/had some. But they are/were shit quality (screeners). Mostly replaced them with the DVD/BR.
I originally planed to do the same with my anime but…look at those prices. Some series will add up to 700€ and more (and are still not finished). Not gonna make that happen as fast as with my movie collection. But I’m mostly interested in older stuff which are usually cheaper and appear more often in “buy X blurays for …” deals, usually 4-6€ per bluray (compare that to the ~30€ for each of the 3 Kizumonogatari movies).

But getting a couple of people together who share their collection sounds nice. Like, bringing an HDD to the movie night and copy while watching movies.

2 Likes

Yep. Though they more download the movies that each other uploads but same idea.
Also plex is quite nice.

Never used it. More useful for a NAS and situations where you’re not in a “desktop” situation (on the couch, etc) I assume, like Steam’s Big Picture mode.

I used to use Plex but stopped after they changed their privacy policy making it so you couldn’t opt out of data collection. They’ve backtracked on that now though but even so. Now mostly just either play it on my desktop or stream from my server using an NFS connection. I hear Emby is a good alternative to Plex but haven’t tried that yet.

1 Like

Its basically useless compared to just having a NAS for if you only plan to watch movies at home. However the big reason its useful for me is because you can watch your stuff anywhere (like on your phone, etc) not unlike Netflix. Provided your home has a decent upload speed lol.

I dont usually use it a ton but my uncle shared his with me so I occasionally use his.
That’s one of the other interesting features; you can share your libraries with friends.

And you leave your stuff powered on while you’re out.
Probably wouldn’t do that.

I mean the way a lot of people do it is have a low power NAS run plex. Just has to be powerful enough to decode the video files so even something like one of the decently powerful Atom CPUs with integrated graphics could handle it well enough and those use like 15watts total (plus whatever the hdds use)

1 Like

Yep. I used to run plex on a dual-core 10W Celeron and it worked mostly alright as long as you weren’t transcoding anything or trying to stream over 1080p. General consensus is that its recommended to have at least a quad-core for plex even if its a low-power atom.

FX 9590 + CF 295 X2, got it!

1 Like

But that’s a heater not a computer
Lol.

1 Like

It’ll keep you nice and cozy when you netfli… I mean Plex and chill.

Lol yep
Meanwhile I has r9 390 and the 300 watt thing definitely warms up my room more than the rest of the house rofl
Like my room gets to 80+ degrees F when the rest of the house is 60-65F if I keep my door shut.
And this is when its -10 outside :stuck_out_tongue:

Thats just one 390

Why not both? Never freeze during movie night.

1 Like

I mean if you were freezing to start theres probably an issue there lol… But yes

When electricity is cheaper than gas/wood for heating your living space.

It might be actually depending where.
Then again if you are heating a house maybe not…
But an apartment wouldn’t be hard to do.

Unrelated. yay for working on New Years Day. At least I start at 6am instead of 5am lol…
Probably will be streaming today some and then tomorrow more.

Also tbh not sure how set I am on staying with whatever Red Team+ is called now. Will see. Currently theres been a whole lot of nothing happening, but thats partially because theres no Community Manager atm for it so meh?

I’m lucky. Only 3€ basic fee + 0.06€ per kWh.

For me its like $.08-.12 depending heavily on the time of year. (Summer is more expensive than winter). Which isnt bad at all.
Could mine without isssues or whatever pretty much, won’t make a massive difference in the bill.

And now that I’m on ryzen I can basically leave my PC on at all times because its just that power efficienct even overclocked lol
Oh this reminds me, didnt end up getting water cooling gear but did get Amazon gift cards so thats cool. Will see what I can get as I just need a pump&res and some fittings

Still okay, compared to the 30c I’ve seen on a chart of the US.

Gonna have to rip all my music again too. Or maybe I don’t have to. Not sure, don’t really know much about music stuff tbh. But my new DAC is gonna be 24bit and apparently foobar is too and maybe I want my music to be that too? Well, nothing else to do, might get my music in FLAC.

1 Like

Yep. I also need to rip my CDs again as FLACs this time. Luckily I don’t have that many but still too lazy to do it.

1 Like