Post what new thing you acquired recently

Yeah, I heard that HDR is kinda useless on that model because it’s not bright enough.
Gonna order a Club3D DP cable too cause the new GPU only has 1x HDMI port and 3x DP ports…while my 2nd monitor only supports HDMI and DVI. And it’s time I finally get a good DP cable anyway.

Damn, that’s like 1.9 years of being powered on.
Anything you dislike or wish you knew before buying it?
And what GPU are you using with it again?

1 Like

ye, it can be alright on it depending on the games though usaully try and disable it if I can because most aren’t that great. Also not sure if its a bug of this monitor or Microsofts horrible HDR software but for some games its always enabled and there’s no way to turn it off unless you disable freesync in the OSD, launch the game, and only even enable it to again to play without any HDR and freesync enabled (think its because freesync 2 standard includes HDR support so it gets messy)

The 1.9 years of power on is kind of misleading because I do always have it powered on but I disable the panel when I go away and I believe that timer is still running even though it is effectively off.

I knew this before buying it but I really wish It had 2 displayport inputs instead of 1 DP and 2 HDMI. the HDMI inputs can’t do full 1440p@144 with 10bit colour but other than that I have no real complaints (also a note, the HDMI inputs for this monitor can output at 4K which is upscaled by the monitor and looks horrible though I suspect this is just for console compability so ye, don’t ever use that and just have it at native 1440p if you can)

I’m using a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB model

Does Windows always enable it or only when it detects a game that is supported?
Just checked the list of supported games and it seems I only have a handful of games that have native support (DMC5, RE2+3, some Tomb Raider game) that I haven’t played yet.

Can you just disable HDR in Windows and simply not use it at all?

Ah, I see.
Is this like HDDs where letting them stay powered on continuously (with the drive heads parked) is supposed to be better than powering them off/on?

I have no idea what I can expect in terms of performance. I’m still stuck at 1080p 60Hz which is actually still good enough for me…probably cause I’ve never seen anything higher/faster (partially cause I wanted to stay content with what I have).
And there shouldn’t be any issues with upscaled 4K since the HDMI port is reserved for my 2nd monitor which is 1080p.

Damn, that guy can push 1440p?

Speaking of resolutions: how does 1080p look on it and how does it scale on desktop? 4K is supposed to scale better in Windows because it’s just 4x 1080p.

ye, it only enables when HDR content is detected

That’s kind of the issue, there is a way to disable it in Windows but its always grayed out for me with this monitor at least on Windows 10 and there’s no other way todo it though I’ve heard it might not be an issue on Windows 11 but haven’t tried that yet

yep, though it might not happen when the monitor acutally goes to sleep as I haven’t tested that. I specificlly disable the output on Linux becasue the sleep stuff gets funky with the way I have it setup.

Not so well on the newest titles but turn down the settings a little and it can totally do 1440p decently, even more so If the game I’m playing has FSR support.

1 Like

That’s good to know. Just have to avoid those titles (at least for some time) and hope the other ones I play don’t get HDR support :laughing:

Not a fan of Sleep/Hibernate. I always seemed to have issues with it (not getting any signal, Windows crapping itself, etc). So it’s either on or off.

Very good to know if the 6700 XT ever needs to be replaced/RMA’d then I can use my trusty RX 480 for that time. Games shouldn’t be an issue since I’m kinda lagging behind a few years when it comes to the games I play (only exception is Genshin but that doesn’t require a lot of powerful hardware to run).

Thx for the info!

Any plans to upgrade your GPU too? Or do you intend to use it until it throws the towel?

1 Like

Possibly sometime in the near future but depends if I can get one on sale or 2nd hand on ebay for a good price. Current RX850 I got for like £200 new when there were liquidating stock and I don’t need the latest and greatest so I’m fine waiting and being a few generations behind.

On another note, this just popped up and I guess my wait for that is over now too, does this count as a new GPU :thinking:

1 Like

damn, that’s a pretty nice deal. my 480 was 300€ when I bought it.
mainly want to replace it cause this year it will have been in use for 6 years.
going a gen or two back doesn’t really pay off when buying new. less stock, high prices and in terms of pricing the current gen offers better price/perf ratio.

Why did you switch from a 256GB model to a 64GB one?

1 Like

You think thats a good deal. I also have the same card but the 4GB model and it cost me like £127

Ye going from a 480 to this is gonna be a huge jump in performance by like at least 50% maybe even more.

I done the math and worked out it would be soo much cheaper to get the base model and just upgrade it with my own SSD. with the new triggers and a 512GB Kioxia BG4 I’ve got in all it’ll be £97 cheaper than the 512GB model

1 Like

Those prices make me nostalgic :joy:
Back when different brands and models were reviewed instead of just the founders edition or whatever and maybe one custom design. And when the recommendations included thermals, boost clock, noise, price difference of the models and if there are any deals going on or bundles with game codes.

Wow, that makes much more sense then.
Got a replacement fan too if you get a model with the noisy one?

If benchmarks are to be believed (I know, the CPU also needs to be taken into account), then in some games I could see a much much higher performance boost…if I actually played those games…

1 Like

Not yet I’m gonna see how it goes first. from the GN video on it the sound different doesn’t seem like that much plus I’d be using headphones with it 99% of the time anyway so I may not even notice.

index

1 Like

Yup, that’s me.
And buying games on sale. and never playing them.
Or like the people who buy 3090s and i9s and then playing Terraria or other pixel games.Or Zorg.

1 Like

Small (big) update regarding my recent purchase:

Amazon and local postal service were being dickheads on Saturday and updated the tracking info to “delivery probably on Aug 29-30”. And it was past noon which is usually too late (parcels usually start getting delivered before noon, if it’s past noon and the tracking info hasn’t changed to “out for delivery” it’s not gonna be delivered that day).

Long story short: cancelled the LG 27GN850 from Amazon and bought a LG 27GP850-B (successor to the other one with some nice changes AND I got it 20€ cheaper than the GN). GPU still arrived.
Pros of the successor: cheaper, 2x HDMI + 1x DP + 2x USB 3.something, HDR400 instead of HDR10 (still no local dimming so HDR is probably gonna be kinda meh).

(that run of Time Spy with the 6700 XT was with the old monitor, hence the 1080p resolution)

Spent like 6h installing the new GPU, uninstalling drivers, installing new drivers, some - much needed but didn’t completely go through with it - cable management behind my desk.

And the monitor works, so far it’s been great.
BUT…the mounting plate of my monitor arm doesn’t fit into the recess on the back of the monitor (the screw holes aren’t flush with the backside, LG uses the same mounting mechanism for their stands like Dell where it hooks and snaps into place).
So…what are my options? For now I’m using the monitor stand it came with. Not like I have a choice.
I could:

• buy some VESA screw and spacer kit (no idea if they will fit and that I don’t have to stack spacers/washers).
  • buy some overpriced adapter plate (75->100) and use it to mount the 100x100 monitor to the 75x75 on the monitor arm (it has holes for both 75 and 100). same issue not knowing if the height of the adapter plate is enough to make up for the recess depth.
  • look for a cheap monitor arm that has a mounting plate and get 2 (not much sense leaving the 2nd monitor on the dual arm).
  • shell out some more money and get 2x Ergotron LX (160€ each).

Yup. Already burning a hole in my wallet this month. I ordered the 2x Ergotron LX (since one of the weebs confirmed they fit with a similar LG monitor).

2 Likes

I have an Ergotron arm with my LG monitor. well its acutally a duel Ergotron arm but with amazon basics branding and it works great with the monitor. its currently 163€ right now if your setup can support a duel arm single mount and could save some money

1 Like

Damn. That price really is tempting. But I vowed to myself to not buy Amazon Basics stuff cause I have a strong feeling that they’re often just cheap knockoffs or stolen designs.
Some answered questions further down confirm my suspicion that they’re not the exact same product with just a different brand name (feels like cheaper quality but that could be the finish, Ergotron accessories don’t fit cause the holes don’t align properly, and no 10y warranty). One of the reviews stated that 27" monitors don’t fit which I found odd. A glance at the submitted pictures showed that both arms had a length missing (I assume the one with the gas spring in it). So they either didn’t use it (it’s Amazon customers, sometimes they’re not the brightest) or the factory forgot to put them in the box (if you have to assemble them yourself, or some factory worker forgot to install them).

Is it stupid to spend double the amount when there’s (very) similar alternatives? Especially when it’s very likely that it is just a rebrand. Yes. Maybe. idk. Depends on why one is willing to spend that much more, I guess.
But I kinda wanted to go dual single arms for a while (never really had any reason when the one I have works fine), cause it makes them more versatile like if you want to space out the weight on the desk or for better positioning. The Amazon Basics single arm would be 110€. 50€ more for a 10y warranty ain’t too bad…imo.
Am I desperately trying to come up with reasons to justify my money spending: sort of. I hate spending that much money but I want stuff that lasts (10y warranty Ergotron vs 1y warranty Amazon Basics). And I do admit it feels nice to replace old stuff.

Hm…I could use the old dual arm and get my grandma a dual monitor setup. We still have a spare 21" laying around.

Oh, and I just changed my order to the aluminum colored version. looks nicer, imo.

1 Like

The Steam Deck, triggers and 512GB SSD I ordered all arrived on the same day

2 Likes

atleast you can install 5 games

made a small pizza throw pillow/plush from a dog toy by removing the squeaker lol

been workin on a old saw a little bit at a time but shiz can be fiddly and when you dont have documentation for stuff gets complicated, like this one has 2 screws for adjusting the air/fuel mix, if you unscrew them it will just leak fuel out the hole, has to be within like 1/4~1/2 turn or prolly not work at all, so gotta online research about some the stuff.

also had to install a new kill switch since other one broke/was missin but it had a rectangle hole and worked out good for the cheapass switch, even matches color scheme mostly, just the 1 and 0 is backwards, since 1 is short the spark to ground instead of the sparkplug, but has legible cast in lettering on the handle frame i installed it in that orientation

1 Like

Falco - Falco 60 (2 discs)

Aptis Certificate in Business English

1 Like

your English is better than some native speakers i know lol

1 Like

And yet I’m still not able to tell you which tense is which :joy: Neither in English nor in German.

1 Like

but can you tell whether a pencil is feminine or masculine in german?