The Lounge 0001 [From the Beginning]

So I kindof got volunteered to be on the actual drill team that’s doing the drill down competition… In a week lol. Still learning all the things but there’s so few people I kindof have to.
That and I also now command some of the flights (like platoons in army) going to and from class, which is interesting. I like it for the most part… And I get to yell so loudly that you can hear from across the flight line which … Is quite a distance lol.

Otherwise been busy. Also HI.

4 Likes

Brother yesterday: All our internet ports are occupied. I’m getting a switch.
Me: Okay.

… Serveral hours later after he got the switch.

Me in deep thought about our internet: I wonder how good my wireless router is.
Researches it… :I need to replace the router
Microcenter got a better router… A lot better. Highly rated. Did cost a little.

Previous download speeds 75 Mbps.

Now:

Yeah. Worth it. Worth every penny. I regret nothing.

2 Likes

A decent router is always a good investment it and should last you a long time especially over whatever you had before especially ISP provided units which in many cases can’t even achieve the rated speed of your connection.

2 Likes

Brain: You should make burrito
Body: You are perpetually hungry and not hungry until 3am
Me: But im poor and i have bills to pay

Grrrr… :frowning:

Fine. 1 Bean and cheese burrito

3 Likes

what? its that bad you have to choose whether you can make eat?

Its not that its that bad but i know im not hungry but at the same time im hungry. I just cant afford to eat $15 worth of food a day

2 Likes

oh right battle of your brain thinking it wants something and your body actually needing it. happens to me a lot too and also the opposite with sleep. The brain can be weird at times.

Yay, I haz shiny now. Lol.

The routine for drill is less hard than I thought but it’s still going to be a challenge to do it because well it will be In front of the entire base and the commander of it (and all officers in the base) sooo woooooo lol. Plus whatever visitors decide to show up.

3 Likes

Very true.

This is the router I got:
https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c4000/

It is a huge step up from what I had.

1 Like

I really need to test my new carrier’s reception. At home I only get 3G/HSPA with abysmal speeds (4Mbps down/2Mbps up at best) compared to my old carrier (the contract is running out on June 30). If it’s just the internet reception at home I can live with that as I don’t want to waste my mobile data when I have wifi).
But if it’s like that everywhere and even with calls then I need to cancel my cancellation with my old carrier and cancel the plan with my new one.

Unfortunately I don’t get a lot of opportunities to test that. Gonna go to my mom’s on Friday to test some outside and call my grandma today when she’s going for coffee with her friends to test the call reception when I’m at home.

And I there I thought the change was going smooth…

Cell reception can be very hit or miss depending on a lot of factors not only the carrier. if you really want to get into testing it I’d recommend using the CellMapper app.

It list information about the cell towers around you which can be used to pin point which one your connected to using the CID and checking against the map that’ll show you the area of coverage of that tower and a lot of other useful stuff too.

No this is not the tower I’m connected to, ya’ll not finding where I live that easily XD

1 Like

I tried my old SIM in the new phone so I at least know it’s not the phone.

Thanks for the advice. Gonna try it out tomorrow. Hopefully it’s just the in-home internet reception and everything else turns out fine.

1 Like

ye could also just be that there is a tower closer to where you live with better coverage on the band your old carrier is using and newer one could be connecting to one much further away.

According to a tower map I’m right in the middle of 3 towers but they’re each a few hundred meters away. Might be that my current carrier broadcasts on a different band that works better with my position than the new carrier.

1 Like

ye could be, I only have one tower near me but I can physically see it from my window lol

2 Likes

I’m have all the windows on the backside of an apartment building. But it probably doesn’t matter too much as the closest tower is ~250m away (the one farthest away of the closest ones is ~500m).
The closest ones are both more towards the front of the building.

Edit: Checking with CellMapper, it appears that my new carrier has a bad positioning with the towers. My old one has more towers facing my windows. I might have the same issue as with the new carrier if my windows where on the other side (given all the thick concrete walls and such).

edit2: scratch the positioning og the towers from earlier. the towers from the new carrier are not even on all sides. it’s like U shape with the side facing my windows being the opening. not ideal, to say the least. they’re all at least 1km away from me.

edit3: I did some testing.
Reception at home is fine, although I only called my grandma who was in the same apartment But at least I know I have sufficient reception at home to even make and receive calls.
Then I went outside to take out the trash and called my grandma again (not really anyone else in my contacts up at this time). Again, fine.
Also did 3 speed tests (~100m apart) and they were all a big improvement over what I get at home. I pretty much max out the advertised speeds of my plan (50/10) with the 2nd test being a bit of an outlier (5.4Mbps up).

But as soon as I went inside it changed back from LTE to HSPA. Seems like the signal is fine outside but being inside buildings makes the internet unusable.

1 Like

If you want I could explain how that actually works but tldr if you are caught in-between three cell towers the waves might do some fun things. Also the direction the actual antennas on the tower are facing has a significant affect on the signal.
And if you are too close to any antenna, you won’t get that antennas signal at all because of how it’s polarized.

2 Likes

Unrelated; got this from spinning the rifle yesterday… Only vaguely annoying. Damn iron sights all messed up so it’s rather sharp.

handstabbed

Also HI

Oil rig effect.
Learned that earlier today from MrMobile :smiley:

tl;dr - I switched back to my old carrier

After some more test calls today (outside, subway, in a mall, at home, calling someone who’s in a completely different part of the city, etc) I came to the conclusion that the new carrier’s reception and call quality is meh on my side. Everyone else was able to hear me clearly.
So I cancelled the plan with the new carrier and before that I checked with my old carrier to see if I can cancel the cancellation and get the deal I was offered before the cancellation.
Now I’m getting unlimited calls/texts, 18GB (100down/50up - Mbps) and some data doesn’t count towards my volume (like WhatsApp) for 25€ per month. It may not sound much for you Murricans but I’m always happy when I can pay less.
Current plan was unlimited calls/texts + 3GB (50down/5up - Mbps) for 20,50€ per month.

2 Likes

Holy shit. So this is a thing im 3d printing atm :smiley:

2 Likes