The Lounge 0001 [From the Beginning]

@Michael @Dje4321

Cost saving or performance increase?

1 Like

likely both possibly? this is undoubtably the Nvidia Tegra SoC codenamed Mariko. it has much higher performance target than the original Tegra X1 as well as potentially allowing up to 8GBs of memory and lower power consumption because its on a smaller node too. The recently announced Switch Lite is almost certainly this and using a Mariko SoC.

this is the original document outlining the above

and more these are the documents filed for BKEHDH001

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Sum&calledFromFrame=Y&RequestTimeout=500&application_id=y0xhrq%2FRR0dVVu0ejPUiXg%3D%3D&fcc_id=BKEHDH001

and the test report

low res screengrap the Switch Lite. you can just make out BKEHDH001. Whether there is gonna be another console in the future like a Switch Pro to make more advanange of this SoC I do not know but the Lite will benefit a lot from the decreased power consumption with its better battery life.

Annotation_2019-07-10_211604

Thats about all Iā€™ve got from lurking the ReSwitched Discord the last couple of days XD

1 Like

idk what to think about the Switch Lite. The screen is kinda small just as big as the one on my Moto G. Definitely not something I want to play bit games like Zelda on.
And the color options are all hideous and cheap looking.

the screen is 5.5" down from 6.2" and the whole unit is about the size of the original Switch but with one joycon removed.

1 Like

The screen not being flush bothers me so much. Why not make the border black instead of just a recessed thing?
It looks so much like a toy for small kids, like those tablets in bright colors with the extra thick border so itā€™s easier to hold for kids.

1 Like

Very early in morning:
Check my work email at work - This is the first thing I do after I clock in.

See an email to me from the lawyer who owns to firm I work and several people are on these email. I start reading because it looked like the lawyer just hit reply all and said "+wolfleben [No I donā€™t go by wolfeben at work] he could do it].

Me internal - What did I get volunteered for

After reading, I saw they want someone to go into the server room, label the power stripe of what is connected.

I breathed a sigh of relief. Thinking Oh I could do that in my sleep. I took it a step further and said yes with attachment of a spreadsheet template we could fill out. So weā€™d know what was plugged in. The people involved in this chain really were on board with this.

So Iā€™m doing light Admin [Not programming though] tech stuff tomorrow in the server room. Kinda neat. Iā€™ll let you guys know how this plays out.

2 Likes

The following is account of my adventure of do very light hardware admin stuff in the firm server room
[There will not be a TLDR]:
Since I knew I was going to work in the server room, I wore an ultra light golf shirt. Its okay if it got dirty. Its pretty old and I have plenty of them.

I arrived at work at 6:42 AM and clock in. I go to the lawyer who owns the firm. He let me into the server room. Itā€™s in a small walk in closet. I looked at it and saw it would not be possible for me to walk behind it. I legit wondered who thought that was a good idea. I felt like a part of my tech soul died when I saw how it was set up. He mentioned getting me permanent access [Got it. This is going to be a room I may have to go in from time to time]. I told him Iā€™d be coordinating with IT in our FL firm at about 8:30.

I looked at the two power strips Iā€™d be labeling on an excel spreadsheet and with a label maker in the real world. Neither one had the serial number visible on front or back. Iā€™m pretty sure if I took them out of the rack I could find it on the bottom or top. I sat in the chair in the server room and thought for a moment on how to identify them in an easy to understand way. Then it came to me: I could use the slot number on the server rack to reference which power strip and what was connected to the power strips on the server rack. It wasnā€™t too loud.

I make sure to have my team covered by my supervisor. I also let my supervisor know about a potential problem I was monitoring with the person I was training who just joined my team.

9:10 FL IT finally calls. They give me the serial numbers. I told them the serial number wasnā€™t visible and told them about my number slot idea. They approved it and said that would work. I then asked them if they knew the joule rating of the power strips. They asked me whyā€¦ which caused me to sigh internally. I told them because its a good idea to know the joules so you can know how much you connect and how much it can handle. They said no and I later looked these power strips up. Iā€™ll get to that later in this story just brace your self for the shocking number I found.

I went back into the server room with my moleskin grid pocket journal and got to work tracing what was plugged where.
What info did I get:
The name of the item plugged in with itā€™s serial number
Where the item was on the server rack, if it was.

10:30 the label maker ran out labels. I switched to stickies

11:45 I get asked if I could switch out a pc control machine. I agree to after lunch.

1:00 I switch it out and let IT in FL know. They thank me for this.
1:10 I get to work inputting the info and decided to see if I could find out the joules by googlingā€¦
ā€¦ So no where on the own website for the company that makes the power strip is there any identification of what the joules are. I found a reddit thread where a person gave an estimate of what it actually was 600 to 1000 joules. Look I canā€™t work off a guess. I need precision to gave an accurate accounting. Bare in mind Iā€™m also doing my managing of a team at the same time.

2:30 I finish and send off the excel to IT in FL. They never replied back by the time I left at 5:00 PM.

Our firm is moving to a new space in Septemberish, Iā€™m going to talk with the lawyer who owns the firm and ask for the next server room if they could design it so I could or any person who has to work on it can access the back.

End

4 Likes

Me at midnightā€¦ maybe I should get Retroarch going finallyā€¦
Does soā€¦

Its a good tech day for me.

Quantum Break does something intresting for 3440x1440

The game does play at that res butā€¦ it does a neat crop to in game cutscene,

Game:

In game cut scene:

You have to see it in action but I found it very clever. Yes Iā€™m replaying the game.

3 Likes

Those fucking proprietary memory cards, though.
And the game prices were meh too.

ye those memory cards were a complete scam. my brother paid something like Ā£120 for his 32GB one and yet now I got a 400GB sdcard for my switch and it was like Ā£65 XD

The one for the PSP were just as expensive. ~60ā‚¬ for 512MB. And that wasnā€™t even the highest capacity.
But Sony learned and made the new one so that there canā€™t be any adapters made for it to use microSD cards.

Except you could get adaptor for the PS Vita to convert it to micro sd though.

2 Likes

Ye. Sony shoot themselves in the foot real hard with that one XD

2 Likes

How does that work with save files? Are they saved on the memory card or game cartridges?

saved data on the PS Vita is saved either on the internal memory or the added memory card. iirc you couldnā€™t save stuff to the game cartridges themselves.

Another shit move. Sony really sucks at portable consoles. They always managed to do something great and then fart on it.

I mean the switch canā€™t do that either. only reason these game card adaptors work as internal memory is because somebody found out how to hack them todo it.

I wouldnā€™t necessarily compare those two. The Vita isnā€™t meant to be used as a hybrid portable/home console. And the Switch uses regular microSDs, not some proprietary crap thatā€™s way overpriced.
3DS and PS Vita? Yes. BUT: the (New) 3DS supports (micro)SD cards too.

it kinda works like that if you have a PS4 and use remote play. iirc not every game supports it but it could be neat

1 Like

It 100% works like that and its actually not bad at all and worked on all games I tried it with. Even played Destiny from my PlayStation 4 at my dads over the internet to my Vita and it worked fine if not a little laggy XD

1 Like