The Lounge 0001 [From the Beginning]

Why is it that when someone at a customer service fucks up it’s complicating things exponentially?
Was wondering why the internet speeds were still as usual. Turns out the sales rep from yesterday only shipped the TV box but never changed our plan. According to a different sales rep I just talked to the one from yesterday fucked up so bad the case needs to be escalated to a different department so they can “untangle” the mess. Might take 1-2 business days. Means no TV for that time cause the new TV box can’t be activated until the new plan is in place. Fortunately internet still works.

2 Likes

Im sorry we couldnt process your winter heating bill. Were gonna have to turn off your heating for the next three days while we figure this out

In actuality most customer service people are given a very limited scope of stuff they can do. If its outside that scope then someone else has to take care of it (usually a department dedicated to a specific thing)

2 Likes

Depends on the customer service employee you’re talking to. Some seem to have more freedom in what they can and can’t do. And there’s always the possibility that some just to the bare minimum and don’t put in more effort than necessary.

In my case the employee just seemed to have fucked up. I mean, what do you have to do to get the mess you caused escalated to a different department has to deal with it?

1 Like

Streaming Apocalypse news:

Netflix cost $13 right now. That Disney Mega Bundle there is aimed right at Netflix and it’s kinda almost competitive except:
ADS on Hulu and of course live streaming ESPN. You can pay extra for an almost ad free experience on Hulu.

I’m curious to see how this all plays out. Wait and see.

3 Likes

If I pay for it then there shouldn’t be any fucking ads in the first place. So annoying.

3 Likes

We are entering the point where paying for online streaming is going to outpace traditional cable pricing by the time you consider every online streaming service. I also expect that we will begin to enter a period where you have to sign a contract stating that you will be with online server X for Y amount of time to curb binge watching.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if they someday pulled a “we have this neat little streaming box you can plug your TV in. no apps or smart TV needed.” and going full circle back to set top boxes.

1 Like

You say that but there is already a streaming service in the UK called Now TV and they provide their own set box based on the Roku that only does streams from their service.

2 Likes

And the next step will be “a number of different genre based scheduled playlists” aaaand we’re back to TV.

2 Likes

This one will probably take some serious anti-consumer manuvuers from big streaming

2 Likes

Playing the nostalgia card or “a playlist tailored to your personal preferences, your very own individual watching experience” but the rest is just regular tv channels. They managed to “bring back” network packages without much effort. Sprinkle some exclusive shows over them that aren’t available with your regular streaming subscription and enough people will cave in.

They just have to find a way to make them hate streaming just like they did cable TV.

1 Like

Yeah I read about those in my researching of the United Kingdom.

1 Like

ye there owned my bskyb which runs the sky cable service in the UK and the Now TV thing is pretty much their on-demand streaming service broken out into its own thing which ties into their model of providing a standalone box for it.

2 Likes

I wonder how others at work are going to respond when I change out my keyboard at work for a 60% keyboard [Still mx silver./speed… I can’t go back to any other mx type. I would use an equal switch to this from other brands though]. Why? Space… also giggles. Also because I’ll still be more productive than other workers with a full size. The keyboard does have the function of a full size with FN combined with other keys. Also programmable without software. I’ll bring the keyboard I’m swapping out home. It’s mine as well. I’ll use it with my media pc.

3 Likes

Well, they fixed it while I slept (still need a confirmation about the plan switching). TV box works now and the faster speeds are also active:

2 Likes

Plans for my vacation in about 2 weeks in TN:
Buy a better knife at The Great Smoky Knife Works - I narrowed it down to one of two knives. I look at both when I’m at the store
Read books - Do you know how hard it is for a writer to plan for reading. Most of my time is spent writing or planning what I’m going to write. So for vacation time I plan a lot of it around reading. My plan is to read 1 to 3 books during this vacation. It’s a family vacation so it depends how much is spent with them.
Buy $50 worth of fresh taffy from a great candy store in TN
Buy box of candy fruit slices from the same said candy store.

Also I won’t be online for 4 days. Its fine the internet will still be there when I get back.

3 Likes

Good lord, just downloaded the Fedora 30 ISO and topped out at 31.1MB/s. Downloading the 1.8GB file was over so fast…hnng
Kinda wanna download more just for the heck of it.

So, on a discord channel I’m on there was just a discussion about wired headphones vs BT headphones. Sparked by the exclusion of a headphone jack on the Samsung Galaxy Note 10. I’m curious what your thoughts on BT headphones are?

Personally, I just can’t see me using them. I already have a bunch of headphones (both good big ones and my beloved pair of cheapo wired earbuds that came with an mp3 player 12 years ago).
At least dongles exist so I can keep using them. Forgetting it at home is essentially the same as forgetting to charge your BT headphones or their case.
And there’s the issue of the battery wearing out over the years. Can consumers even replace them?

A few years ago headphone jacks weren’t even a thing people were looking for in the specs cause every phone had one. Now we’re entering an era where we’re lucky if the manufacturer includes a dongle (hello, Apple).
I mean, there was a similar situation before, when phones weren’t smart yet. Hell, when they didn’t even had a common charging port.
If you wanted to use your dumbphone as an mp3 player or use a headset for calls you needed a proprietary adapter. Usually they were provided by the manufacturer with the purchase of capable phones. One of my Sony Ericsson phones came with an adapter (proprietary to headphone jack + inline mic + control button. And my Sony minidisc player came with an inline-remote (plus fancy display) so you didn’t have to take your player out if you wanted to change the volume, track, etc, but it was a proprietary connector. You could still just plug headphones into the player, though.
Although that was at a time when phones just started to become more versatile and do more things. So it was more of a bumpy road to make those features accessible rather than phasing them out to make the customer buy additional accessories.

I feel like this simple question resulted in a rant/me blabbering about something again.

But lets return to “Wired vs BT headphones”. Your thoughts?

1 Like

Use bit torrent if you really wanna see it go whirrr

2 Likes

Any recommendations? The stuff I usually download doesn’t take long and the large torrents heavily depend on the seeders, so that’s not a good way to test it.

I love the idea but i always run into 2 issues. The battery life is shit. Most of my stuff wont last more than 4-5 hours and not everything supports bluetooth

Plenty of linux isos to test with. Will PM you a link to a place that has huge files

2 Likes