The Lounge 0001 [From the Beginning]

What I learned from my A+ Cert Class Today:
I always called the RJ-45 the Ethernet port… I mean I didn’t know the real name so I just called it that.

Also I know alot of the terms already that have been covered. I think I’m just going to Ace this Cert when I take it if the terms and what I need to know are as easy as they have been in this course so far.

I’m doing the course at my own pace an hour a day. I started yesterday. I’ve aced the quizzes on each of the sections so far. Granted the quizzes don’t count or matter.

There are two parts [Test] to the A+ Cert and it’s recommend you have 12 months IT experience…
Technically I don’t have 12 months of IT work experience. However, I built 3 computers, know basic level trouble shooting, and have tested things for companies for over a decade… I should be fine.

I’ll take the A+ Cert Tests in about 2 months which should be plenty of time to take the courses, study,
and take the practice tests.

Then once I ace the A+ Cert I’ll start the Network + course. The TLDR version: I should have the A+ Cert, Network+ Cert, and Security + Cert all by December if my pacing and studying go according to plan.

3 Likes

your still technically not wrong in that RJ-45 ports are still commonly used specifically for Ethernet although it doesn’t have to be RJ-45. SFP/SFP+ is still Ethernet for example but its using a different standard I.E 802.3ae for 10GBase connections.

2 Likes

Good to hear. I need to get my certs at some point as well. Should do fine with A+ and will probably be fine for security+. Only thing i would really struggle with with network+ but its hard to play with networking when you only have 1 machine :frowning:

2 Likes

I differently want to go for network+ at some point its just getting around to doing them. I’ve learned a lot building and using my network and would be good to actually put all that to use. have look at looked at GNS3 before? its an opensource network emulator that lets you setup and build a visualised network of devices that you can manage and play around with. Is good to get a grip on networking without needing to have the hardware at hand. Many people do their CCNA’s without hardware and use software like GNS3 for their network.

https://www.gns3.com/

1 Like

Never even heard of it. Onto the list it goes i guess :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

its quite neat and you can get really complex with it if you want and do stuff at the BGP level managing multiple networks connected together and even lets you drill deep down into how its working with wireshark integration too.

1 Like

Someone pls make this into a actual mod

2 Likes

ye a world like that would be great to play. its like minectaft but with literally everything been procedurally generated instead of just the world seed its self? you could find ores that have different properties or mobs with special attacks that do certain affects on the player the possibilities would be endless and it’d always be something new.

2 Likes

My biggest problem with minecraft is that its always the same. I know how to exactly defeat the enemies, How they move, how they attack, what ores i need, how to get them, etc. Would be just a refresher to have all of this just get shaken up a little bit.

This does still have the same problem of no mans sky where after several interations, the patterns start to reveal themselves and the magic is lost again

2 Likes

My problem with it is I loathe single player. I have to share the experience with others. And I like to play the long game so finding people who want to play on a single world as long as me, let alone under the same mindset for how it should be run, is nigh impossible.

2 Likes

Single player i fine but i always end up running out of ideas so very quickly and stop playing :frowning:

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever played Minecraft singleplayer at all apart from some mod packs. first played it and set up my own server with my brother on 1.5.1 i think it was and later have only really played it with you and on some servers.

1 Like

About damn time :smiley:

2 Likes

took them long enough, Steam has had the same UI forever and even the current one was just improved take on the original. but it really needed this to bring the UI back into the modern design we now all expect.

1 Like

Fuck inkscape and trying todo anything with text. You know what. Just fuck inkscape

1 Like

inkscape is a dumpster fire whenever you want todo seemingly simple stuff like text or resizing the image/canvas and the UI for it is terrible with multiple places todo the same thing or similar thongs that never line up with each other.

1 Like

Yep. Sadly its pretty much the only open source thing that can do vector files and im sure as fuck not gonna pay for adobe products :sob:

1 Like

yep only opensource ones i know that do vectors are inkscape and Krita but they never seemed to work right. though most of my experience in factor graphics was with adobe fireworks before they discontinued that but there’s nothing even close to that in opensource :frowning:

1 Like

Yep.

“I need a guide at 75px on the X axis”

Me: I should be able to click on 75 on the X ruler to set that guide
Inkscape: Click and Drag from the ruler on the Y axis and position at 75 on the X ruler

1 Like

Like seriously WTF. They are both set to the same size yet they are completely different size :anger:

Screenshot%20from%202019-09-04%2018-12-10