The Lounge 0001 [From the Beginning]

gonna go pick up a imac g3 graphite dv special edition tonight
it has vga in ! so even in all out failure of the g3 (unlike before the flyback but thats a 15$ fix) i can ez make it a vga in screen which is ok for my other power macs
dear god i have 3 crt screens i need to clear some room

3 Likes

I have a old core 2 duo imac thats basically useless. No display input so all it does it look nice on my desk

2 Likes

My graphite powermac collection is getting quite large

If a processor were operated in a vacuum sealed environment, would it get hotter faster?

theres no way for the fans to remove the heat through the air, so yes?
unless it was water cooled, but then you would run into the same issue
would work out well if there was some kind of LN2 loop though, butā€¦ that has its own set of feasibility issues but in theory it could be great for that

it would die instantly. Only way heat would be able to escape is via radiation.

would still need some kind cooling device that can remove and disperse heat without a medium to absorb the waste

2 Likes

Musings of Wolfleben at around 06 00 ish ET, because Iā€™m awake (woke up at 0430 and could not fall back to sleep, it happens sometimes. This is going to be a bit long. You might want to go get a snack and then come back to read this while you eat on said snack.):

With the upcoming release of Elite Dangerous Odyssey - My character will at the minimum be able to move around there ship. As for leaving the stationā€¦ well I think if my math is right theyā€™ve been their for 5 or 6 years. To be honest I lost track. Lets just say theyā€™ve been there a bit. Now when they add walking inside a space station, then Iā€™d potential finally leave the station by sneaking aboard another ship and hitching a ride.

I plan to purchase triple feature Blu ray that has all 3 Bill and Ted films, including the new one. It came out this week. I really enjoyed Bill and Ted Face the Music. It was everything I wanted

Writing: Overall good. Do you want to know what I found tricky to write so far? Iā€™m working on ā€œthe main character is getting a ton of gear.ā€ This is the hardest bit Iā€™ve written so far and the thing is I know Iā€™m going to have to rewrite the scene a few times. Why? See the story is first person and there is something Iā€™ve been doing my best to avoid. The ā€œI trapā€. What is this? A string of sentences that start with I. This gear scene has too many I sentences. In fact it is 20 sentences. Iā€™m mulling over how to fix this scene how to show the main character getting a lot of gear without boring or overwhelm the reader. Yes, as a writer Iā€™m mindful of the reader. I will fix this scene, it may just take a bit to work through it and there is nothing wrong with it.

The Cloud will soon be mine to control - Joking
Yes. Iā€™m taking IT courses on Azure. Learning all about deploying and working with Azure. Neat stuff. Studying for first exam which I should take in December. I reached as high as I could as a Paralegal and thing is I donā€™t want to be a lawyer. Not worth the drama or costs. Iā€™m working on transitioning into IT by focusing on becoming an expert in using cloud based services. Why Azure? Microsoft have great documentation and training material.

Closing thoughts: Itā€™s been a weird year but overall Iā€™m alright.

4 Likes

Chucked from my psycho mothers house. Iā€™d say ā€˜finally, Iā€™m free!ā€™ but ehā€¦

2 Likes

Quick question: Windows 10 ā€œTurn disk of afterā€¦ā€, yes/no/after what time?
I have 2 NAS drives (HGST Deskstar NAS & WD Red) and 2 WD White Label (EZAZ). Does it matter?

Generally no but it depends. Setting it to turn off by a timer will potentially save power and be quieter if the drives are not in use but setting a too aggressive spin down could damage the motor after a while. NAS drives though are usually more power efficient and rated for 24/7 operation anyway Iā€™d just leave it as it is as long as you donā€™t mind the sound of the drives.

1 Like

The default was 10 or 15min, iirc. I donā€™t remember. It changes every time when I update my AMD GPU drivers (clean install with DDU, which also removes the chipset driver and thus the AMD Ryzen power setting from the Windows Power settingsā€¦thx).
tbh, I donā€™t remember that the default is. The drives arenā€™t especially loud and I have a room fan on 24/7 anyway (despite open windows, the air in my room just doesnā€™t move).

The only annoying thing I notice when I have set it to turn the HDDs of after X min is that when I pause a video or music, it a) takes a few seconds to resume playback (cause the drive needs to spin up again) and that b) in videos thereā€™s artifacting for a few frames (usually until the scene changes which isnā€™t very long) after playback starts again.

Thats in case your disks donā€™t have auto-parking, such as low budget WHE, Maxtor, or old Seagate Drives.

1 Like

Mini Writing update: I solved the getting gear scene. How did I solve it? Well after thinking on the matter: where the character was, the state of things, what they would find things like, and protocol, I was able to rewrite the whole scene. It ended up being better as a result. Now I can move on.

3 Likes

the dots being the 2 worst offenders

ended up more complicated then originally planned but seems to work pretty decent(not that mode 1 is bad just at the end it gets weird with leftovers sometimes, the anime list doesnt as much cause more consistent lengths/divisible lengths, and works equally well with 2 in that case)

but thats why set it up as a second mode, wasnt sure it was gonna be much better, just a possibility

does:

• sort into list of longest to shortest
  • after so many checks pass before like 31% of the total is checked, it skips to the closer to the end(first try for mode 2 was just reset to top but ended up the real short ones at end had bunch left over)
  • after so many checks pass in the end like after 60% it skips back to beginning
    has different comparisons for how many to pass before skipping for each

ideal result basically just more ā€˜randomā€™ rotation of sublists, and less repeats(in some cases literally would do like 5+ in a row the same one, then a different list then another string of that same first one)

but really depends on the contents of the list

also doin random shitty youtube videos, basically curated streams(called drunk aram) but upload not that good so just uploading after
2 Likes

Wolflebenā€™s long ramble on writing and also vaguely talking about story working on:
I like a well paced story. That just flows from sentence to sentence. Written in a way the reader would not want to skim. Now this doesnā€™t mean there arenā€™t moments when things slow down. If fact in the story Iā€™m working on now, in the 2nd chapter, story is reaching a point where the main character must be still. Not bluring that because itā€™s so vague you got no clue about the why or the how. Now even though the character is still, does that flow stop? No. It just changes to focus more on the surrounding and with that the story is showing the reader the mood, the atmosphere, and the reality of what the main character is facing. itā€™s going to interesting to write for two reasons:

• Writing in first person perspective, really lets me delve into the main character. I know this characterā€™s current state of mind and what they are feeling. I already know despite them knowing about stuff, when this ā€œbe stillā€ event occurs it will jar, emotional response, them.
  • More world building. Writing in First person perspective world build can and does occur at a slower pace. The other thing is the main character isnā€™t going to go into great detail because they donā€™t always have all the info. I the writer do. They donā€™t. My experience as a retired dungeon master and a former player come in handy here. As DM, I knew everything, the creatures, and characters I controlled varied. Such as their was Deity who was frog who sat on a log, I loved when Futurama did the Frog on the log bit, and just starred at the player characters. They would just keep making a guest appearance. They never said anything but that frog deity was watching them all the team because he found them amusing. However also had bartender in a city. That bartender only knew a little about the city such as who ran it and who he traded with. TLDR - The meta knowledge is to be avoid at all cost.

End Writing Ramble.

3 Likes

as an example, if did a similar list(some others missing is an older one had around could lazily test like 50/63 or something sublists)
more obvious the problem is that so many leftover looney tunes segments

ex of the begining boot strap part vs the multiplied one

the one on the right being the non multiplied one, can see only 3 lists long enough to be in the same category(by length compared to the longest, in this case, say koth is 258, compared to looney tunes being 388)

that in the multiplied one have 10 in that length range, although still not the best part of the list, a loop of 10 instead of 3 is better variety/longer inbetween viewings, until the shorter stuff starts to pass math checks

but mostly happy with the result of the top frame, being basically the same result, same number of looney tunes in the overall number of segments in that section, given its a pretty bad case for any attempt at being evenly distributed given such a vast length difference,

but could try put in a multi tap option where it wouldnt increase the counter if it passed or something(allowing it to go multiple times if the math would pass for the check) would use up some of those extras earlier too prolly try that

edits: tried double tap thing, unless add a counter or something(with like max of 2 or maybe only if its longer sublist or something idk) it goes craz if removed other stuff, with the other stuff not as bad

Why does my imac g3 fucking always smell like what I remember the computer lab to smell like in school (elementary to middle) when we used them

Or did the computer lab smell of imacs :thinking:

2 Likes

my computer lab at high school before they actually moved it to a proper class room was literally a closet that smelled like old people though it was just touch typing taught by old people lol

1 Like

Our smelled ā€œnormalā€. The only thing I remember was the mice not working properly cause nobody cleaned the the rubber balls / x/y axis, so dirt would always build up and compress on them.

1 Like

I love hated the puck mice great when elementary but horrible as i grew

1 Like