The Lounge 0001 [From the Beginning]

its the os9 lives install alot of bloat is cut

doom loads up like a dream im gonna try a linux install on a fw external adelie linux supports the g3 so WHY NOT

1 Like

2 Likes

The topic came up a while ago in a thread on L1T and it was basically confirmed that a) fast boot doesn’t improve boot times with Ryzen and b) people with Intel CPUs have faster boot times comparatively.

1 Like

can’t really say I’ve noticed when I moved from my i5 4690k to my 1700 though I always disabled that fast boot feature since it messed with how the drive worked on Linux and locked it readonly.

1 Like

You know I kinda forgot the new season of His Dark Materials was airing

Which I mean I’ve been busy with studying and writing. I spend a good bit of my free time thinking on what to write next after I finish writing.
Saw the first season. It was great. Have caught up to what has aired for Season 2 so far. Also great. If you dug the books, do recommend the show

Just one weird problem - HBO has an audio streaming issue just on this show. On Blu ray that isn’t an issue just be aware you will notice it when you stream it with their services.

Really weird show I can talk about but it’s weird:
Raised by Wolves
 It’s weird. Like really weird. Like sudo science and sudo religion weird. But I like it for some odd reason. Soundtrack is solid. The show does have a problem that my favorite characters are not the humans
 except one. One of them I like. The rest though nope. The Androids are pretty interesting in their own way. There is heavy symbolism going on, foreshadowing, prophecies, and other things. This show is a bit heavy and I can talk about it about but it’d sound like madness if you hadn’t seen the show.
It is getting a 2nd season and I’m really curious as to were it goes.

1 Like

Early xmas gifts!

Upgraded the fiancés sticks !

Rest In Peace this will go to fiancés younger sibling

1 Like

bios also matter for boot times unless your counting from when windows logo shows up til when its on which case mine is fast af boi(and not just cause it never shows windows logo lol, is like 15 seconds or something like that from ghetto m.2 sata) but have heard some versions of early bios had like 30seconds just to post

Asus replaced it on my mobo so I get the Asus logo instead. Which
kinda bugs me? The Windows boot logo is part of the OS so why did Asus inject theirs without assigned admin privileges?

Seven: Enhanced Edition is free on Humble for the next ~26h but you have to link your GoG account to redeem it.

1 Like

mine has a setting buried in the bios to enable/disable it which was enabled by default

Asus has put in this shitty feature in the bios that prompts the installation of their shitty utility software. So before installing Windows for the first time you better disable that in the bios or else they install it along with Windows which is shady af imo.

There is a word for that. Malware

2 Likes

Do you mean when boot Windows and it shows the manufactures logo and the spinning circle thing? because the logo is coming from the UEFI and its just part of boot process and the logo its self isn’t in the Windows install at all. It even does it on the OVMF UEFI firmware when it boots.

1 Like

nah some override the later windows logo

and just never show anything other than the manufacture one until its the actual login screen

1 Like

Nah, the one dins posted. It only shows the Asus ROG logo from posting to booting (with the “press jhasdfijhdasfgi to enter bios/uefi menu” and the loading dots/circle)

1 Like

hmm that’s strange, when I boot I get the TinaoCore logo with the dots/circle up until the login screen and that’s it. doesn’t show a windows logo at all.

wouldnt be surprised if it something you can configure.

1 Like

ye looks like it has something todo with the BGRT (Boot Graphics Resource Table) and if its enabled windows doesn’t refresh the screen to show the Windows Logo.

found this quote on the tinanocore edk2 github page about it:

Note from Laszlo Ersek [email protected]: without the BGRT ACPI table,
Windows 8 and Windows 10 first clear the screen, then display a blue,
slanted Windows picture above the rotating white boot animation. With the
BGRT ACPI table, Windows 8 and Windows 10 don’t clear the screen, the blue
Windows image is not displayed, and the rotating white boot animation is
shown between the firmware’s original TianoCore boot splash and (optional)
“Start boot option” progress bar.

source: https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/commit/6e5e544f227f031d0b45828b56cec5668dd1bf5b

2 Likes

Do you enjoy learning? Ever been curious about if you own a digital book you bought? Wanted to know about the legal precedents and laws?

Have I got a podcast for you from the EFF about this:

download here:
https://archive.org/download/eff-podcast-episode-6-digital-1st-sale

You can read the transcript here:

2 Likes

Without listening to this podcast I’d say no. Or maybe, depending on the country (similar to warranties).

I guess it’s the same as with music and video (not sure about games). You don’t own it. You only acquire a license that allows you to watch the movie/listen to the music. “Back in the day” this required a physical copy of it which you didn’t own. But because this has been conveyed so poorly to the customers, people assume they own the physical media they buy.
Weirdly enough, I never heard anything like this about physical books.

It’s kinda confusing, though.

I’ll listen to the podcast tomorrow. It’s already 4am again.

2 Likes