The Lounge 0001 [From the Beginning]

old one looks weird kinda more copper and stuff obv, but whats with the separate blocks on left bottom and left top instead of one long one with more heat pipe contact

new one looks more overall heatpipe contact atleast

Upgraded my MBP to 6gb, it doesn’t like 8gb though there is a firmware upgrade for it that will allow it since this is a late 2008. Will see about that but still 6gb is much nicer than just 4g

Edit;
Just noticed that Im pretty sure there’s supposed to be backlighting on this keyboard … but there isn’t lol. Meh. Also, Civ V seems to run reasonably well, 40ish to 50fps at 1440x900 at low/medium.

Like 20-30 in loading screen etc

2 Likes

ye but how long does a turn take? :stuck_out_tongue:

I have my 480gb ssd in it so not long lol

lol meant the meme where it was a cpu bench forever cause does bunch of wasteful animations and dumb stuff at stock settings that takes forever unless you have one really high speed core

Zen2 is definitely something to get used to.
The initial benchmarks were great, but I didn’t look at the temps. 4.2ghz all core and 4.4ghz single core boost were what I got. But 50°C idle wasn’t too great.
The I turned off PBO and CPB (Asus’ thing) and suddenly the temps were fine again at idle…but 3.6ghz was all I got (single and multi core).
So I re-pasted the CPU, installed the cooler properly (backed off maybe 1/16 turn when I first installed the new CPU) and…stuck in boot, then no boot, then freeze on login screen.
Hit the Clear CMOS button, made sure all cables and the GPU are properly pushed in. Post into Bios, default (minus some unimportant stuff) and boom, great temps and boost again.

Only thing is, a) the temps reach 72°C (max, usually 69-70°C) when I encode blurays (only tested one) and b) at 100% utilization the CPU doesn’t go beyond 4.1GHz (4.0-4.1GHz) unless utilization dips, then the clock goes up a bit again.

It definitely takes some research and getting used to things, but so far I like it.

thats not too bad tho

also different temp thing than yours, since old one didnt have the offset like the x chips did, but thats why turbo to like 4 instead of the 3.6~3.7 got temp and power room available

I thought the offset is gone since zen2? only zen1/+ had it?

pretty sure still has just isnt talked about anymore since all the programs had been updated since shortly after zen launched so for most people upgrading already would be using a program can show the actual one

dunno i guess. but has much more aggressive multi core boosting/will go to like 85~90 or so before it starts to back down to the baseclock/actually start throttling

pbo on some boards drills them way higher power limits and stuff tho

mines weird since highest temp on any of the dies or something idk

maybe doesnt and thats the series switched to the like shiz load(1000 or something) sensors all over and it just does whatever highest possible one is or something, but it changes boosts and stuff way faster than zen/+, is like gpu style constantly changing stuff

There’s apparently also some bullshit going on with coaxing the CPU into thinking it uses less power than it actually does to achieve more performance.

I noticed that on the 3700X too. Now it’s boosting to 4.2, then back to 4.0 then below 3GHz and up to 3.7 again, then over 4.2 again. Like some ferret on coke.
Not during consistent workloads, just in random stuff.

ye resulting in heat up the a

1 Like

Finally got a USB installer set up for El Capitan, which while using USB 2.0 took… quite some time lol. But now that this other late 2008 MBP is going well, can start going through the other MacBook and MBPs that are here since they are pretty much all late 2008 ones. A few core duo ones that are older but those I’ll deal with later since they are more annoying for OS installs.

2 Likes

Well, the iMac that turned on (only one of the 7 that did and had a working screen) has a dead hard drive. I don’t know if I care enough to pull it apart lol… such a pita to do these. That said since it’s an older model it’s not that bad but still

2 Likes

Also found this adorable little Fujitsu laptop that has XP on it, with a 933 MHz cpu. My hand for scale

Has some strange cpu in it

1 Like

thats kinda cool, translates x86

I have no fucking idea what is going on.
With all the BIOS settings at default (except fastboot & asus grid installer disabled, DOCP enabled) I was hitting 4.4GHz SC / 4.2GHz AC boosts (clean numbers, nothing rounded).
Now - with the SAME settings - I get 4.2GHz AC boost only in Ryzen Master during the stress test. Reaching a clean 4.4GHz SC boost is basically impossible, always a couple MHz short of 4.4/4.2GHz.
It’s either some PBO stuff going on or idk.

Not saying I’m not satisfied with the performance. Getting very close to those advertised boosts is one hell of a lot better than the measly 3.2GHz AC / 3.7GHz SC boost. Hell, even the 3.8GHz AC OC seems “weak” now considering the 3700X beats that out of the box without having to do anything myself.
But once you see the CPU hitting those advertised speeds that seem to have been more like marketing numbers under perfect conditions, it takes a bit of the excitement off when it just doesn’t go as high. VERY close (like 4.386MHz), though.

Absolutely not in the mood to OC myself.

well mine couldnt anyways since board has a low reference/base clock for some reason like 99/100 lol, but thats the thing mostly the single core will never hit outside like literally no load on anything which never happens

but multi core boost seems pretty good to me, least they never really advertised multi core boost much but it goes pretty hard, like way higher than baseclock on pretty high constant workloads like 80~95% rendering for hours

Yeah, finding what the multi core boost is supposed to be wasn’t that easy. And I don’t remember there being an official number from AMD.

ye dont think they advertised a whole chart or anything prolly get too busy having one for each model etc

They don’t mention all core boost at all in the specs on the respective product pages.

5000 series

3000 series