The Lounge 0001 [From the Beginning]

I just need some more old cables and to dig out a few ide cd drives now to setup XP on some of the older systems but that celeron 700 in particular, as the CERC pci raid controller I got in the lot works. Which is nice because it was free lol. And to acquire some ddr1 eec reg for the athlon MP system, which shouldn’t be super hard at the junk shop but if there’s none there I’ll have to buy some online. Amusingly can put 8 or 16gbs in it. Not worth putting more than four though as k7 is 32bit only, and I’m probably not going to mess with multiOS on it.

2 Likes

gotta get that zune theme lol

Using the dvd drive from my Mac Pro to install winxp onto the celeron system. Also have it at 768mb ram now. Hopefully xp will pick up the cerc controller and ssd

Edit; it picked up the ssd, neat

2 Likes

but do you get that sweet install music?

Nope lol, the board doesn’t have onboard audio. Or Ethernet either actually, I’ll probably pick up some generic sound card and pci Ethernet card for that but for now just going to use USB for putting things on it.

lol okie

I think this is the lowest score I’ve ever seen on CPUz rofl

A whole 0.3

1 Like

but intel is the fastest always

Got the p4 running, with a … considerably janky cooling setup lol

Edit; also, the celeron system is stable at 875mhz. Doesn’t like any higher than that but probably need a proper OC worthy board to get any better

1 Like

lel atleast it should work, the p4 ones i had came with pretty big coolers, had a hp one even had copper fins

was like 80~100mm x 80-100 x 100-120 with couple heatpipes even but all copper, like 120mm fan strapped to it with big plastic shroud

was one them later model to the moon, like 3.2ghz with the 64bit and ht still got the cpu some where

like this actually

but all copper and not in a server chassis lol

P4 system, after some further mods, now works well. The 9600 had a bad fan so swapped the heatsink and fan from some other ati card that happened to fit and seems to work well enough now. And got UT04 going on it.

For some reason the GoG version is somewhat strange on xp, switching graphics settings and enabling the in game fps overlay both bork the game but if I don’t change anything it runs fine at 640x480 so… there’s that. Will have to find an older version of GPUz and or MSI afterburner to tweak the fans and clocks of the gpu and see how temps are and if there’s OC potential.

2 Likes

nop nvm all copper one was different p4 one then the heatpipes one that was even bigger lol

weird sun thin cdrom for scale

i mean i assumed they would get like a little baby intel stock cooler or something, the aluminum one kinda lol just a big ass mosfet cooler

2 Likes

Got the 5950 ultra up and running

2 Likes

any usb audio or somethin to hear them sweet startup sounds?

anyone gettin any these new games comin out?

after messing with the GTX 580 for a while, set it back to stock and took my Phenom II X4 955 to 4.3ghz. which was fun, interestingly with the 360mm AIO i have on it (with zipties, lol), stayed under 65C under load even at 1.62 volts.

Will be pushing it farther with bclk tweaking and such, did a mostly standard OC (mainly, multiplier, but some BCLK tuning) so will have to see if less multiplier and more BCLK will make it more stable. Will have to delve back into the offsets and different things to make the PCIE and system clocks not go crazy with high BCLK though so saving it for a different time.

other than that, still have no idea how to get my dual thunderbird system to work- pretty sure it’s either dead or needs some kind of annoying power/reset switch as it has soft power on through the bios. Theoretically, since I reset the bios, any settings related to said power options would be reset but not really sure as the old Tyan manual is only semi-helpful.

You guys do anything interesting lately?

1 Like

not really just games bought some silver i guess lol :stuck_out_tongue:

undervolt/overclock on the 5800x using PBOv2 has been pretty successful so far, 4.6ghz all core and 4.9-5ghz boost depending on the game/application and at 1.33 volts with -15 undervolt and +200 Mhz in the PBOv2 settings. Max temp under heavy load is now around 85C, and gaming is 60-65C max.
also, going from 1800x to 5800x doubled my FPS in CP2077, lol.

at stock, the volts are 1.45+ and it gets marginally? better performance but significantly more heat and power draw. have gotten a lot of points out of it when it was stock though:

and i can FINALLY run my ram at the speed it is meant to lol. so that also is nice, no longer stuck at 2133mhz ddr4, currently at 2933mhz CL16 17 17 35

1 Like

sounds about right like 30~45% ipc depending, and clocks up a bunch too

Got a few dry ice runs in on the 990FX R3 and fx 8370, so far with max of 5.6ghz. Probably have to do LN2 to go higher as throwing 1.67 volts at the core meant the VRMs were getting toasty. Partially due to the fact that the pot is meant for high thermal capacity and dry ice doesn’t saturate the copper block very well under load. It’s fine for frequency testing but not benches as the difference between the temp in the pot and CPU is ~ 10-30 C due to above mentioned saturation issue.

Just waiting on the account to be set up for the LN2 and then I can go and get it whenever and rent one of the smaller dewars they have there for a few dollars a day. Probably will do 30L or 50L to start with as it’s about $2 a L.

1 Like

nice