The Lounge 0001 [From the Beginning]

lel ye I’m pretty sure it would. iirc there were issues with people charging the Nintendo Switch with USB-PD chargers and docks but because Nintendo didn’t make the power delivery completely to spec they ended up providing more voltage and killing the devices.

1 Like

the RPi4 has a similar issue where they left out a few resistors from the connector and so some chargers just dont work

2 Likes

The long version sorry I dropped off the face of the Earth… I do that from time to time

Also why is my title banned /s

If i dont give it in a day or two feel free to remind me

1 Like

Oh yeah… Asians man… their women are wonderful creatures… their men are far too orderly… must be because of the women…

In any case yeah it’s late I’ll check back tomorrow

TL;DR I got tired of the direction and moderation of L1T and decided and spin off my own thing. Didnt really like discord so made a forum and its been mostly smooth sailing so far. Pretty good place and surprisingly active with the 6-10 main members we have. Still more alive than crit (aka teksyndicate) XD

Would like the main forum to get more use besides the lounge but that happens with time

It all started with good ol stubby. A lounge without all the asshats and pointless shitposting. A place where discussion could be had and not completely derailed by someone just coming in and shitposting. That had its own problems between me being able to unable to moderate properly and it being invite-only with no way to remove people (was before the uninvite feature in discourse). Eventually i handed off control of stubby to @KemoKa and moved onto discord (mostly to just mess about with it)

See below for more details

stubby lore

In The beginning Dje4321 had came to the forums and was stunned by the power of knowledge and shitposting. She lurked the forums trying to understand how to process the knowledge. She began asking questions in a attempt to assimilate herself into the knowledge. Month after Month her knowledge had increased and began to use it to educate others into the world of knowledge.

Dje4321 soon began to become jealous at how close the community had seemed and spent many weeks to figure out how they knew each other. This is when she had stumbled upon the Lounge and was amazed at the true power of discussion she was seeing there. She watched silently as she learned what the lounge was and how it operated. One day she hopped into a discussion and was amazed at how welcome the community was to a new person. The community had made her feel welcome there and she was happy to meet people who had the same interests as her.

The lounge was her new home for many years until one day when she logged into the forums she had seen that someone had sent her a pm. It was a invite to a hidden lounge and she was marveled at its glory. Before she could even get more than a glimpse it was taken away from her. This left her will a void wondering what it would be like to have a hidden lounge. The thought sat in her mind for many days until she decided to make her own hidden lounge.

Dje4321 invited who she thought was her greatest friends from the lounge but when they tried to bring down her new hidden lounge it made her feel betrayed. With no way to remove the people that hurt her she was forced to create a new hidden lounge. The hidden lounge flourished like no other but fears grew among the members of the hidden lounge that a admin might be able to see what they were up to. In order to cover up there tracks they would create a new hidden lounge to prevent high post count from drawing unwanted attention. This went on for many iterations and the name had morphed from hidden lounge to stubby.

She began to grow tired of the constant hiding from the admins so on behalf of the stubby she had reached out to the great and all mighty wendell. She plead for permission to have the stubby but wanted no one else to be harmed so she took the full blame for it. The almighty wendell and granted permission for the stubby to be existent. when dje4321 told the sfubby they had rejoiced at the news.

A few weeks later dje4321 came to the forums to find that the stubby was gone. She spent several hours investigating what happened. she found out from a mod that someone has started shitposting NSFW content on the stubby and it was flagged. The stubby was kind and caring and gave mercy to the one who caused the stubby harm. From all of this mods had to be invited so they could help remove the evil from the stubby.

and that brings us here. to the present and soon the future

Discord went pretty ok and ended up getting a decent little community going. It lasted a while but it always left a bad taste in my mouth. Lack of customization, shitty web app, Instant messenger feel, etc. I ended up spinning up a discourse install mostly to learn how it worked on the back-end and get more understanding to how it worked as a whole. Friend let me borrow a subdomain so i could do some basic hosting (Thanks @eddynetweb). It was a nameless and pointless discourse. A gray soul wondering the internet wastelands but people did eventually use it. Few months went by and the discord pretty much died due to this place kinda taking over.

At some point in the timeline me and @Cavemanthe0ne re-tooled the discourse for the little side company he and his father had setup. It was mostly fine though i did want to strangle some point for the inability to get the domain setup properly so we were limited to about 25/emails a day and having pretty much every email get eaten by spam filters. Eventually cavemans dad pulled the domain and name from us and left us in the same place as we were before. Nameless and pointless. Instead of relying on other people to give us a direction and a mission we decided to take it into our own hands.

We held a naming contest which @wolfleben won. Re-tooled the forum again with our new name “Ordered Chaotic Discussions”. We are now and will forever be a place where discussion comes first but its ok to let it get a bit chaotic and have fun. Sorry if this post makes me sound like a crazy person but i do really want this place to succeed and do well. Its a really good community and i hope for nothing but the best for it so feel free to share and invite your friends. They will be welcomed with open arms

3 Likes

I see. Well it’s good to see it sprang up out of good intentions. I was in stubby for sometime but then I disappeared like I normally did and don’t have that anymore. I remember that all for the most part. It would be nice to see this place grow :slight_smile: … Didn’t caveman get banned from l1t

2 Likes

Stick around and invite your friends and youll have plenty to see

No idea. Kinda lost interest in the L1T and made a withdrawl from the place. Might go back some day but i spend most of my forum energy here now

1 Like

I love that this is the idea.

Now heres the thing. What could you do to attract revenue and attention? Get everyone together into a stream for gaming and random discussion. Like professionals gaming poorly?

1 Like

Absolutely nothing. It runs off of bare minimum atm with a server donated by @Michael and a domain i paid $2 for with cloudflares free CDN tier (Mostly only DNS because we can have team access to it incase something happens to me the site can keep running)

Its pretty a much a place of nobodys so its all grassroots atm. Too small to want to spend any real money on it.

2 Likes

though for a $2 domain and a server that was thrown together with whatever random hardware i had laying around I’d say we’re doing pretty good.

3 Likes

better uptime than some websites people pay thousands of dollars for XD

3 Likes

i mean yes a long time ago, when i was much more stupid and it was for stupid reasons lol.
part of the reason why i left l1t though was because the community there is… well, at best strange and at worst downright terrible. or it was when i left and i have no urge to go back. it has been like 2 years now but meh.
also because here we all pretty much just hang out. no real trouble is ever made lol…

@Dje4321 pretty much covered the rest.

i mean i kind of like this place being so small, though it would be nice to have growth shrugs

3 Likes

Still working on writing. I however decided to step aside for a moment from writing and Control to tell you about my Amazon Kindle Exodus:

Why leave amazon - I’ve never been comfortable with getting ebooks from them. I honestly thought for a long time there wasn’t an alternative. However I came to find after looking a little that yes you can get a different e-reader and you can buy e-books elsewhere.

What am I getting:

Kobo Clara HD

Why this e-reader: The amount of e-book format support - EPUB, EPUB3, PDF, MOBI, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, TIFF, TXT, HTML, RTF, CBZ, CBR. The only two missing are amazon’s drm format and apple books. I can load my DRM Free books on there.

Places I can get e-books:
https://www.baen.com/ - BAEN has been a long time supporting of DRM Free e-books and you can buy straight from them. They sell science fiction and fantasy.
https://www.blacklibrary.com/ - Even if you’ve never played warhammer 40k, you really should read their books. Especially The Horus Heresy Saga. They sell epub and mobi format e-books
http://rebellionstore.com/ - Did you know Rebellion Publishjng [They own 2000 AD] sell drm e-books in various genres and some of them are from 2000 AD worlds like Judge Dredd. They are reasonable priced and I’ve enjoyed them. May I recommend Judge Dredd Year One as one to take a look at: http://rebellionstore.com/products/judge_dredd_year_one

https://www.kobo.com/us/en - They sell their books as epub format.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ - Project Gutenberg has older versions of books that are copyright free. You can download epub straight from them.

EPUB format - I personally prefer this format for my ebooks.

Poll I’ve considered making a thread for a dedicated place for me to rambling about my writing in a a non-spoiler way would any of you be interested in that? It’d be a little more detailed than the normal ramblings I did here but those should give you idea as to what to expect.

2 Likes

I think that’s a excellent idea to have it as a sort of blog that shows the progress with your writing over time? similar to the updates in the lounge now but way more accessible and easy to go back to.

2 Likes

Yes. And I can make the update post a lot longer. Lounge I try to keep things concise for flow of conversation structure of The Lounge.

2 Likes

Further Impression of Control:
I’ve got 12 hours into this game. This game has no difficulty setting. So think Dark Souls… because it does ratchet it up but this in part due to how much power you gain just playing. I have a side mission boss I’ve been trying to beat for an hour. The thing I like about this game is I don’t feel the game is being unfair but more along the lines of Oh I goofed… dead… I got this let’s go again.

The game does have time sensitive side missions but if you choose not to do them that’s okay because they will cycle back for you to do them.

There have been a couple subtle nods to Alan Wake in the game and I like that. Like a big reference is a character briefly mentions in passing The Sudden Stop Movie. The Sudden Stop was the last book in Alan Wake’s series where he had the main character a hard boiled noir Max Payne like detective die. The Control Discord community has a spoiler theory:

The community is convinced Control and Alan Wake are apart of the same world. I haven’t seen hard evidence just but it would make a lot of sense to me. I think it’s more like Remedy reminding people they still remember Alan Wake.

The story is still good.

What ever happened to kemoka?

The specs look good but why the hell does no e-reader manufacturer say what size the battery is? It’s always “2-4 weeks”, “up to 4 weeks”, etc but that highly depends on the usage and the settings (wifi/mobile on/off, bluetooth, backlight on/off, how many hours per day?).
With a mAh number I can at least somewhat guesstimate how long it should last with my own usage.

Recently I had my Kindle 4th Gen open cause I suspected that the battery might have started bloating (nope) cause it doesn’t hold a charge as well as it used to (just having it laying around in standby got me months of battery life, now I’m down to 50% after 1 week since the last charge. But then again, it’s almost 7 years old.
To the point: the battery in the Kindle 4th Gen isn’t that big - neither actual size nor capacity. I don’t know if they improved on that part (probably likely, since they added backlight and other features that’s drain the battery faster) but imagine how long an e-reader would last with a 4000mAh battery inside on one charge.

1 Like

No idea. Not seen them around much