The Lounge 0001 [From the Beginning]

Thing I don’t like with what I’ve found on Mesh Network Routers so far:
Most I’ve found are geared toward using a phone app… Nope. All the nope. I set up my routers through my computer by an internet cable off the internet till I secure it, this is not something I will compromise on. I’ll keep digging to see if I can find one that does meet my standards.

1 Like

This is unfortantely the thing with most mesh networking gear same with the Unifi AP I have. The only option to configure them is either with the phone app or the controller software which is a badly coded java app. can I just have a web interface for each of the units in the mesh that I can configure directly?

1 Like

One thing I could do is make my own mesh network with the base router I have and wi-fi extenders to switches. This is the road my research is leading me to.

1 Like

I don’t have much experience with wi-fi extenders but that does seem like a much better option than having to rely on some phone app for your network. least this way you can be confident on how they work.

1 Like

I don’t care?

well then take your pick. For Fedora this is quite good, I’m also very familar with how todo VFIO on Fedora so if you have any troules just ask and I’ll try and help.

If you want to use pop os use this:

For Arch/Manjro the arch wiki for PCI passthrough should get you started:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

if you want to use nixos I wrote a guide a while ago on this forum but it should still be up to date.

Writing fiction is now on a hard pause:
Simple version - I want to write but there are various and complex life matters that take a greater precedent and time to deal with. I’ll get back to writing when I can.

3 Likes

@TheDiddilyHorror How big is your storage collection now and how big does it need to get before you consider a nas?

I swear on everyone i know, that once you get one setup, you will never shut up about how great it is

1 Like

I half expect he’ll just get a direct attached disk shelf and JBOD all 50 drives bays over a NAS lol.

just think your watching an anime streamed from your NAS on your desktop but want to go to bed soon so start watching it on your laptop in bed… then you suddenly need to that a shit but don’t worry, you won’t miss a thing and finish watching it on your phone on the toilet. That is the power of a NAS your files on any devices when you need it.

1 Like

so much wasted power for almost no features tho lol

feel like a rpi or something attached to a nas would be cool though, could do auto shut off when not in use/auto disconnect drives and stuff to auto update cold storage(prolly not be able to make it as good as real cold storage tho in even of like power surge/lighting or whatever)

Not really. Enable disk parking, Have the cpu enter a low power state and there is basically all of your power usage cut away.

Also the longer you wait for the NAS, the more painful its gonna be because you need enough space on the nas itself to dump all the drives onto

2 Likes

Went to big lots and they have massive air tight bins.

Why?

Weed

1 Like

fucking duh

I was thinking datura

I’m curious to see what the modding community will do for Cyberpunk 2077. There are already a few mods. Most are ReShade profile which as the years have gone on, I’ve stopped using it. Others are kinda of interesting.
Two Things I hope for:
A much more advanced character creation options. The one in the game is pretty detailed but their isn’t an advance option with sliders to tweak further.
A barber shop… look… sometimes in an RPG like this you just want to change your hairstyle and yes really the game doesn’t have this already. Small thing really.

2 Likes

It looks very 2013 to me

I expect the cdpr dlc to fix a “finished game”
Fuck at least its not 100gb+ atm

this is just my personal experience of the game so take it as you will but I’ve played the game for 36 hours haven’t encountered even nearly as many bugs are some people. there were a couple but nonthing game breaking, on the otherhand my brother has had nothing but issues and game breaking bugs. I’m not sure what to make of that. my theory is that maybe me running it on more modest hardware might have shielded me from some of them but I really don’t know.

Only bugs i am getting in cp277 is graphical load issues getting stuck in a wall that just spawned in falling out of map to end up back before i fell and tits showing through shirts

And face models taking long to load to get some asscreed unity faces

Got stuck in out of bounds areas cause loading issues but it was fun reloaded no issues again

Im playing on as cheap ass system 2200g 1070 8gb vram no ssd (no ssd is the load issues)

It feels like a rpg release that was rushed last minute

1 Like

if it even can depending on raids etc, and still physically connected, gets powered on when turn system on, pree sure its still powered its not just spinning the motor

dont get good low power states if dont do a newer cpu, same if you do a pfsense build with an old machine gonna pull heaps especially with a large disk array especially if do large raid cards(controllers usually not as much power draw or heatsyncs like its a 8800gt or something)/many cooling fans etc

got some options for remote management cards/could do an attached rpi or something and use the gpio to cycle relays and such, so you could say turn it off when go to sleep/not in use for a time period, have it power on when you get back home from work, could cycle usb connection to do backup or something to external cold storage etc

i mean if were talking server hardware probably draws more power at idle then my media server does under load, could do some stuff to power tune probably, like regulate most of the fans based on the hdd temps/utilization, probably not doable on many server motherboards, but prolly wouldnt spend for one anyways for me lol

suppose if did a pi(or some other similar device) could prolly do a big little setup or something and just not use the main system at all unless you needed faster speed or something and a have a smol like jbod copy of the main array(s) accessible thru that or something

i mean start talking 20~30w for fans, prolly 10~15w(at idle) if have like 2~3 sata controllers, like 10~20 drives etc prolly be like 50~75w at idle even with a proper modern cpu with really low power states

i mean if use other cases/do mods and stuff can prolly waay reduce fan power draw, by turning off many fans/not needing say 1-2 40mm fans to be able to pull air from behind a drive with almost no gap at all from 6in away blow thru cpu cooler(with no fan) and out the back, turn off the ones dont need/only use the cpu fan maybe 1 exhaust at lower speed during idle etc

probably would more be a drive shelf for me, but pretty sure similar to server isnt made for my use case, in that if your server is idle you are wasting/losing money its never supposed to idle, where mine would be idle like 98% of the time cept when do backups and such

could prob make a sweet drive shelf though if got a bunch of hdd cages